Down Internet Connection
TEM3
Enthusiast - Level 3

There were several reasons for our switch from Comcast to Verizon Fios.  One of the major reasons was that our Comcast internet connection would come and go.  There would be periods when it was always available and periods where the connection would come and go every few minutes. 

Well this afternoon our Fios internet connection did the same thing.  In the middle of an important online session, the connection was just dropped (the digital phone and TV still worked fine).  When I told Vista to "Diagnose and Fix" it came back and said to contact my internet provider.  In about a half hour the connection magically re-appeared.

Can we expect this to happen often??

Also, I had the Comcast help phone number memorized I called it so often.  I now realize that I am not sure what Verizon number to call in the case of a lost internet connection.  Anyone know the number so I can tape it to my Verizon router?

0 Likes
Re: Down Internet Connection
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

does anything change on the router when you lose connection?  How do you restore the service?

The number for tech support is 888-553-1555.

0 Likes
ohpoleez
Contributor - Level 2

When calling that # it's option #2 you choose. Please advise if you are using a wired or wireless connection when losing the connection. Also any change in lights on the router when the connection goes down is important. 

Speaking for myself, as one who has used most every type of connection to the Internet over the years, including dial-up, DSL, satellite, cable and FiOS, I have found that of all of them, FiOS is the most reliable when it comes to maintaining a good hard wired connection.

0 Likes
TEM3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did unplug the router (from the power) for about 20 seconds which did not work.  As far as the lights on the router, I have not had time to figure out what they mean (there are at least 10 I believe).  On the cable modem (used with Comcast), there was only four lights.....

0 Likes
TEM3
Enthusiast - Level 3

It was a wired connection.  I did not break out my lap top to check to see if wireless connection was any different.

You know, I suffered with my Comcast connection issues for years thinking "That's just the way it is".  We recently purchased a townhouse in SC and had Time Warner come in and install their cable/internet/digital voice package (the only choice we had).  The service is rock solid.  Not a slngle glitch or lost connection in a couple months of use.......

0 Likes
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

hook up the laptop see if it has problems, if not try connecting it with the same wire and see what happens.  It sounds like something on the computer.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@TEM3 wrote:

It was a wired connection.  I did not break out my lap top to check to see if wireless connection was any different.

You know, I suffered with my Comcast connection issues for years thinking "That's just the way it is".  We recently purchased a townhouse in SC and had Time Warner come in and install their cable/internet/digital voice package (the only choice we had).  The service is rock solid.  Not a slngle glitch or lost connection in a couple months of use.......

Well, all I can say about FiOS internet reliability is that I have had FiOS internet for well over 4 years and I honestly do not remember a single time when internet access was down. I have had a couple of times when Verizon's DNS servers did not work correctly affecting my access to sites, I now use OpenDNS and have not had that kind of problem in over a year.

As somebody previously said, you need to observe (and write down) the lights on the router when you lose connectivity, they should give you (and us) a clue as to what is wrong. And you can log into the router and look at the log to see if that tells you anything.

You should have an icon on the Vista Task Bar that indicates whether you are connected to the router or not, that could also point to the problem if it shows disconnected.

Unfortunately you are just going to have to gather as much info as you can and provide it if you want help on this.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Ditto on what Justin just said. I have had FIOS for more than 4 years myself. It has been 100% reliable.

0 Likes
nmc
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've had them for about one week. Can't go wireless even when I'm within four feet of the router. Forget about calling their Techs and getting any type of useful or helpful info. I'm going back to Comcast.

0 Likes