Downgrading My FIOS internet to DSL
Angel7000

Good Evening. I just want to find out if this is possible to change from Fios to DSL. The reason is because DSL is cheaper.

0 Likes
Re: Downgrading My FIOS internet to DSL
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

You would have to call and check with Verizon.

MOST of the time the answer will be no. Once fios is installed the copper facilities are removed. The wires may still be at the house but the facilities in the co are usally removed to make room for the fios equipment. They are trying to "upgrade" their services and DSL is considerd a downgrade so they usally will not move you back to DSL. The only exeptions that I have heard about would be in case of a extreme Medical condition that requires copper phone lines because of the danger of loosing phone service during a power outage. But from what I understand from my friend at Verizon. Those are extremely rare and a lot of work.

Angel7000

I tried getting dsl through a third party dealer and they say its not available even though it use to be. Its frustrating and I do not think I have many options.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

yeah, usually once an address is converted to fios, DSL is no longer available by any provider. Most of the time, the other companies that provide DSL to a Verizon serviced area, rents or leases the copper equipment to do so. But when Verizon removes it for Fios, its not there anymore for either Verizon or anyone else to use. Most of the time, the move from Old to new is a one way conversion.

prisaz
Legend

Verizon spends a considerable amount of money to upgrade a location from copper to fiber and takes a while before they start to recover the costs. All in hopes to make a long term profit. That is why they have early termination fees. If a customer terminates and pays the fee, Verizon could still suffer a loss depending on how long the installation was active. Just from my business perspective, I don't think they will take a location back to copper.

0 Likes
Angel7000

Thanks for everyones input. So is their any cheaper alternative I could choose?

0 Likes
SlicerDicer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well your pretty much out of luck.. Why you would want to get rid of fios is beyond me but options that you can do are get wireless internet via EVDO or 3G (ping is horrible etc) Sat Internet or Cable. None of them are attractive by comparison to fios...

Fios is competitive by a huge margin by comparison to DSL given the raw bandwith. I am not a fios customer but I have lived in many areas where it was around me and I have wanted it for a LONG LONG TIME!!! I am now finally able to get it for the first time... Consider yourself lucky to be able to have it and dont complain too much. There are MANY who would kill to get fiber like you have just remember that.

{please keep your posts courteous}I am getting 50/20 Buisness and Residential TV its not that expensive by comparison to what other places charge.. This is CHEAP here for everything all said and done (top tier wise) very cheap.

0 Likes
Angel7000

I understand but my work hours have been cut so just trying to find something more affordable.

0 Likes
SlicerDicer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry for the slightly rude reply. I understand the economic situation is not so great these days.. Best advice I can offer is either get the lowballer FIOS or maybe get Dial Up for the time being till things change around and if you need big downloads elist a friend/neighbor. I know I was always willing to download things for neighbors if they did not have a decent connection. I know how painful it can be to download slowly..

If you are just browsing and not doing too much (flash) this might be a viable option nearterm.

Angel7000

Good Evening. You don't have to apologize you have a right to what you have to say. I finally contacted CEO Ivan office and I spoke to a lady there and told her my situation and she had someone from escalations contact me and when I spoke to the lady from escalations she told me I have to cancel my FIOS internet first and then she will start the process of getting DSL but she told me it wont be guarenteed that I will get DSL back. So I am not sure if I should do this or not ?

0 Likes