Download 82 MBS Upload 900 after ONT and internet upgrade
annoyed-consume
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi All,

I finally had Verizon come out to the house and replace my ONT with a nice shiny new one and switched to Ethernet connection.

This triggered a series of actions that have brought me here today.

• called verizon, and dropped FIOS TV from my plan, and added Gigabit download
  • went out and bought a Wifi 6 mesh based system and disconnected my Quantum FIOS router
  • after a bit of time waiting for the orders to all process.... it gets me to where i am now

I am getting between 80-86 MBPS down from every device i check from ... wired or wireless and from different tests like fast.com, ookla, and the speedtest my new router performs from the hub.

these same tests all show upload speeds around 900 for upload....

I've tried various settings on the router, and powering off etc... I've double checked the ethernet cables.. and the fact that i get over 100 mbps up tells me the ethernet is capable of the speed at least in one direction.

I tried to use the Verizon line test, and it claims i'm getting 900 

My question : is there some switch or something on the ONT that could be preventing the faster download inside my house?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Download 82 MBS Upload 900 after ONT and internet upgrade
annoyed-consume
Enthusiast - Level 2

So i'm not exactly sure how i "fixed" this... but i was about to switch to an old router, but before doing so i un-plugged the ethernet cable from my NAS device, and ran a test... and lo and behold i was getting 500+ down...  i plugged the NAS ethernet cable back in, and the speed remained.

I had previously restarted the NAS, so i'm not confident it was the cause.. maybe something happened on the back end somewhere coincidentally ... who knows...

now i'm not thrilled it's only 500 down.. but i'll start from there and troubleshoot the limits later.

View solution in original post

sikm3
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's the mesh system. You will never get those speeds consistently using a mesh system.

Process of elimination. Remove the mesh system, use verizon's wifi router (assuming it's a wifi router and non-wifi 6) and check speeds. If the speeds are more in line with that routers capabilites then you've pinpointed the problem to the mesh system.

annoyed-consume
Enthusiast - Level 2

i do plan on putting my old router in to help rule out the mesh system.. but the fact that the wired speed is just as slow leads me to believe that it isn't just a mesh issue.

sikm3
Enthusiast - Level 2

if you're plugging into one of the wireless mesh extenders, then you're using the mesh's wireless backhaul which is where the problem lies. You should be testing your wired speed directly at the router.

annoyed-consume
Enthusiast - Level 2

yes. I agree.. i have turned off all the nodes, and have be doing all testing with the primary only.. prior to posting here

annoyed-consume
Enthusiast - Level 2

So i'm not exactly sure how i "fixed" this... but i was about to switch to an old router, but before doing so i un-plugged the ethernet cable from my NAS device, and ran a test... and lo and behold i was getting 500+ down...  i plugged the NAS ethernet cable back in, and the speed remained.

I had previously restarted the NAS, so i'm not confident it was the cause.. maybe something happened on the back end somewhere coincidentally ... who knows...

now i'm not thrilled it's only 500 down.. but i'll start from there and troubleshoot the limits later.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is your NAS a Synology NAS? If so,  Synology NAS has comprehensive diagnostic logs. If you have time, you can dive deep into the logs.

If rebooting a device solves a speed problem, it is likely a network congestion or a broadcast storm alike. Did you see LEDs on NICs flashing crazy when you have the speed problem?