Download speeds extremely poor; upload speeds perfect
isotree

Hello,

I'm not sure if this issue has come up before and was previously solved, but here we go.

Some background:

I'm using Windows 7 on a desktop computer that I built specifically for gaming. I also do some light internet browsing, but very little downloading aside from games. For virus protection, I use a combination of Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes Anti-malware, Avast (free version) and McAfee Security Scan Plus (also free). I run scans daily to catch any viruses because I don't want my hard work of a computer to be damaged.

Anyway, here's my situation:

My internet speeds are very dodgy. At first they were extremely slow (could barely load webpages). I'm on the FiOS 25/25 plan. I ran a speed test on speedtest . net as well as on the Verizon site. Here are my results:

Ping: 12ms

Download Speed: 0.85 Mbps

Upload Speed: 26.63 Mbps

Clearly there is something wrong with my download speeds. I'm connected to my router via ethernet cable (Cat5e), I've updated the router firmware, turned it off, waited, and then back on multiple times, checked the cable connections, and run the Optimization application. 

After all of that, it runs slightly faster as far as loading web pages, but still barely any download capabilities.

Is there something else I can do? I'm still not sure if it's something wrong with the cabling somehow or maybe the router is just old (2-3 years). Do I need to replace my router? I'm okay with computer terminology and hardware but no expert by any means.

Thanks.

0 Likes