Downloading iOS 8 to iPhone
norm4444

I am unable to download ios 8 software update into my iphone. Anyone else having problems? Apple thinks it s a fios problem. Help!

0 Likes
Re: Downloading iOS 8 to iPhone
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Apple is actually having trouble with a handful of their CDN's going into a black hole. 

There are different fixes that work for different geographic locations,

Using Google DNS is the one that I am seeing works most often, and the others are rather advanced fixes or work arounds. 

If the following fix doesn't work then try to download it from work or a friend or neighbors house.

On iOS: Settings > WiFi > tap on the "i" icon next to your current network > Tap in the DNS box and change the address. to 8.8.4.4 and also 8.8.8.8

*Edit,  new updated DNS that may work if the previous ones did not.

Great advice. Google DNS server did not work for me. Used the following link:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/a/free-public-dns-servers.htm

Chose Level3 DNS (209.244.0.3). Downloaded in minutes (instead of hours)

0 Likes
hclyatt

I'm sorry we pay a lot of money to be able to download it from our houses. Verizon needs to acknowledge this and fix it. It has been going on now for at least 6 days.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Apple owns those CDN's, and you pay handsomely to Apple as well.  They can fix it with a few mouse clicks because they control how they send you a download, meaning what network path it takes.  

When you change DNS then Apple's servers think you are somewhere else and they send it to you via a different path.

Verizon doesn't dictate that path, and can't control what path Apple is sending you data from.

The other fixes involve you getting a VPN that once again tricks apple into thinking you are somewhere else, and then they change the CDN that delivers your download.

The more advanced step is to completely block the bad apple CDN's and then apple can't use them, and they default to another CDN

0 Likes
hclyatt

Verizon is one side of the peering connection, are they not? They have the power to resolve this issue. As their customer I should not have to be in the middle of a peering issue. Sure I can fix this in many ways, but I shouldn't have to waste my personal time doing so that's what I pay them for.

0 Likes
ROCO1

Please fix this widespread problem ASAP.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

FWIW Apple literally just Built this CDN.  They did put a lot of money into it, but they are new comers to Owning and Operating their OWN CDN and there might be some learning curves, especially for their front line employee's.

They used to farm this out to industry leaders Level 3 and Akamai who still handle their ITUNES updates, but this was their big foray into the CDN world.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@hclyatt wrote:

Verizon is one side of the peering connection, are they not? They have the power to resolve this issue. As their customer I should not have to be in the middle of a peering issue. Sure I can fix this in many ways, but I shouldn't have to waste my personal time doing so that's what I pay them for.

If the download works fine from another CDN that isn't congested, how is Verizon supposed to fix that?   again they don't control what links Apple is using, they don't own or operate any of their CDN's.  

0 Likes
hclyatt

Hubrisnxs,

I hear you and understand what you are saying. I'll have to also trust that the Apple CDN's take the same route as the Akamai therefore it is not a congested link. But I pay Verizon for my internet access not Apple and I haven't heard them say even once that they are aware of the issue and it is Apples to resolve, that they are working with Apple on resolving this issue, or even notified Apple of this issue. BTW: I have sent notes to Apple as well

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
I'll be honest with you, I don't think verizon is even aware. To be fair there NOC (I used to work in one) monitors their network. They can see peripherally what links are interconnecting with theirs but when ever we had a problem with a congested link, the most that we could do is advise the other party that it was happening and do things at their request. Imagine you were apple and you find another company is all of a sudden redirecting your traffic. As an engineer you'd probably be very upset. That kind of latitude, to start taking ownership for hardware and software that isn't yours is very frowned upon and often can carry legal ramifications. I don't know what conversations these two are having with one another but from reading all these comments about support call to Apple and verizon! It's clear that the information isn't being passed to any of the front line because verizon is wasting tech visits and routers while apple front line is simply not qualified to even talk about the issue. Both are doing and giving some pretty wild guesses that are often times just not accurate or at least they don't have nearly enough information to make some of the claims.

Fwiw I'm just sharing what I see as the most common fix for people that aren't interested in making giants move but just want their updates.