Downloads constantly stop
pattycakes2
Enthusiast - Level 1

My internet works fine, but when I download files (any type of file) the connection will start at high speed, then will just stop - if the file is small enough, the file may download before the typical disconnect (ie: an mp3) but any videos or larger files (if I purchase an online game) the file will download for 10 seconds and then will stop, every time.  No matter what browser.  All firewalls have been disabled.  FIOS sent me a new router to see if the router was the issue (mind you, the new router wouldn't even connect to the internet) but I have been yet unable to verify if it is the router.  I have no port blocking on the router, and the problem began out of nowhere during a period where i hadn't touched the router settings in months.

any thoughts?

0 Likes
Re: Downloads constantly stop
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the brand, model and hardware version of your router?

0 Likes
cblyseth
Enthusiast - Level 1

Either Verizon or the whole Internet is experiencing technical problems. Strangely, my friends on Comcast are not having the same problems. It would appear the Internet works fine for them.

I have numerous FIOS customers in our neighborhood with similar problems. I've called support twice and they told me it's not a Verizon problem. However, Verizon is sending someone out to visit a number of these folks tomorrow. I hope they are starting to recognize there is a problem with the number of calls and the posts here in the community area.

From 20+ years experience in IT and after running trace route diagnostics on numerous sites I have become suspicious  that there is a problem at the boundary between the internal FIOS network and the Internet. As the connection tries to make it's way from my PC to the actual Internet it can require hopping through 13-15 systems along the way. Quite often the hopping slows dramatically (5x) when the connection reaches servers belonging to "ALTER.NET" I was told since that those systems are not Verizon then it proved it's not a Verizon problem. Now I've learned that ALTER.NET belongs to "Verizon Business Global LLC" and provides the really huge "data pipes" for really big companies/organizations to communicate globally. I can't say for sure if the slowdown at ALTER.NET is the problem or a symptom. At any rate, it is frustrating that there is such an apparent problem yet nothing in terms of information.

Of course all of Verizon's internal diagnostics (like speedtest.verizon.net) work great with 15-20M download rate  Then I tried the outside speedtest.net and it drops to 0.5 M download rate. Verizon rep says they can't take that into account since checking speed is only to be done using verizon's internal tools and NOT with a tool that checks connection speed to the actual Internet. How is that for flawed logic? It just occurred to me that I better go back to make sure my agreement does not only promise big speeds on Verizons internal network. I thought Broadband Internet connectivity included connecting to the Internet.

pattycakes2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon asked me to send them a traceroute diagnostic from one particular site I am having issues with (note, it is affected with ALL sites involving any sizeable download, but they only asked I provide one, which incidentally also failed after several hops).  My issue exists with any source - i have used Battle.net, Catalyst website for video card upgrades, itunes for movies, etc - the downloads ALL come to a halt within 10 seconds and will not complete unless the file type is small enough that <10 seconds of high speed download will surpass the file size.

And we confirmed the issue was not the router - new one installed, same issues.

no word back from FIOS on these traces.

Very VERY frustrating - can't even complete downloads for video card updates, movies, itunes updates, etc.  its ridiculous

0 Likes