Drastically Slower Download in Dallas
greenpin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Has anyone else noticed a drastically slower download speed in the Dallas area? I have the 75/75 plan and typically get at or above those speeds, but am recently only getting 5-15 Mbps down and 75+ Mbps up. The upload speed does not appear to be affected. Latency is up a few ms, too (from 5-6ms). Several neighbors around me with FiOS have complained of the same issue over the past couple of days.

I know this question will come up... I am connected wired directly to the Verizon router. I also have both Windows and Linux PC's, and all are experiencing the same slow download. It appears to be an issue somewhere on Verizon's network.

Here is an example using Verizon's own speed test...

Re: Drastically Slower Download in Dallas
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, are you currently still having issues with speed? If you are please PM us and let us know.

Thanks,

^GKC

0 Likes
Sieran
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having this same issue.

I called verizon last week and they scheduled a tech for Monday morning.  He called and said he was at my house, but no one ever showed up.  My ticket was closed stating "No answer at door".  I was there the whole time, along with my wife.  No one heard a knock or doorbell... there wasn't even a truck out front.

So I call back and get a tech scheduled for Wednesday.  Tech shows this time and says that the line amp that was installed up stairs was the cause, and asked why I was using one.  I told him it was whatever was installed when verizon was on site to hook everything up, I didn't install it.  So he replaces it with a splitter and things seem good for that night.

Now Thursday, I am seeing the exact same problem come back.  I am paying for 75/75 amd have not seen that in MONTHS.  I am lucky to hit 35 up speed even when everything is working.  Downstream is 12-16Mb/s at best right now.

Getting kind of tired of this... FIOS was great when I first signed up.  Never had an issuse.  These last 6 months have been difficult though and make me wish Google Fibre was here.

greenpin
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am still experiencing the issue. Seems the download speed is back to normal during early morning hours. Is customer demand greater than the Verizon network can handle during the day, now? Is there a point of failure that is affecting throughput for the Dallas area?

Here is an example of my current speed at the moment...

Gat33ica
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes I am having the same issue today as well.  I have seen this off and on for the last week.  I have the 35 / 35 plan and today my download speed is 13.72 and my upload speed is 34.01.  The download speed seems to be more affected than the upload speed, but sometimes both slow down.  I know of other people in the area that are affected as well.  I called Verizon twice about the issue and each time they want me to run the Optimizer which does not help.

0 Likes
greenpin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good 'ole Optimizer... your (dynamic) RWIN value is probably set too low, too!  Haha.

Customer service must be forced to treat this as a client side issue (PC, router, ONT), but it really needs the attention of a certified, experienced network engineer that is familiar the infrastructure deployment in the Dallas area.

laurin1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I haven't noticed anything until tonight, but we are having issues with Vudu (wired). My ratios are a bit lopsided, but generally both my upload and download speeds are very bad. 

I am supposed to be getting 75/75. Speedtest.net reports are way below what I pay for - at best about 35/35, at worst about 12/25.

However, my test using Verizon speed test (which is also an Ookla service, but a different server), is much better:

Also, seeing some packet loss with a continuous ping to  a reliable and fast host (www.pridedallas.com😞

0 Likes
laurin1
Enthusiast - Level 3

This morning, my packet loss has subsided, but performance is still sub-par.

0 Likes
Sieran
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yep, sounds about right.  Everything was fine up until about 7:30pm, then BAM sub 20Mb/s speeds again.

I am paying for 75/75 and have yet to see those speed in both up/down.  I sometimes get it when downloading, but is rare since I work until 6:00pm.

0 Likes
Sieran
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since my last post was edited out because it shows my previous IP addresses...

0 Likes