Drop in Upload Speed
jkiv
Contributor - Level 1

I have the 25/15 Mbps Internet Plan and upto recently I was getting 15 + in upload speed.  I checked it several days ago and found that my upload speed has dropped to 7 Mbps.   In subsequent test using Verizon FIOS Speed Test over several days I have consistantly received the same result.  The Verizon FIOS Speed Test Analyiser states "Congratulations! This test result indicates your service is operating normally." 

I don't think there is any problem at my end and the Analysis Message also indicates that.  Anyone else with 25/15 service in NY or nearby see their upload speed drop siginificantly recently.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Drop in Upload Speed
jkiv
Contributor - Level 1

Problem Resolved.  My Upload speeds are back up to more than 15 Mbps.  Verizon Speed test over the last 2 days have been consistantly better.

My original post was in reference to Verizon Speed Test results on a wired desktop and a Wireless Laptop both  running Windows 7 64 bit. Both were returning Upload speeds of 7 Mbps or less.  I had previously run the Verizon Optimizer on the Desktop.

What I did:  I ran the Verizon speed test using an older wireless laptop running Vista 32 bit several times.  The results were consistant with the 25/15 plan, therefore I knew that the problem was with my network settings on the Win 7 installations.

The Laptop's Network Settings were still at the Windows default settings has I had not run the optimizer on it.  I ran the Verizon Optimizer and rebooted then tested with Verizon Speed Test.  It returned much better than 15 Upload Speed (Wireless). 

I then immediately did the speed test on the desktop and got a dismal 6 Mbps upload.  So I reset the Desktops Network Settings to the Windows Default and then re-ran the optimizer.   The result was more than triple the previous upload speed result.  That was yesterday and subsequent test since then show that the increased upload speed is holding.

My experience with these 2 PC's, alternating the speed tests, both before and after running the Optimizer on them, leads me to believe that the optimizer had a significant effect on Upload Speed.   The download speed was good throughout without any real change before or after.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

also, if you are using windows, you might run the verizon tcp\ip optimizer.  It is the ONLY one I ever heard of that optimizes upload.  they all optimize download, but not upload.   oh, and if yer using win 7, you might have to jump through hoops to get it to cooperate with the optimizer changes.

0 Likes
hassanpr

I live in NJ and i noticed my upload speed change to around 7. I have the 25/15.

0 Likes
jkiv
Contributor - Level 1

@cjacobs001 wrote:

also, if you are using windows, you might run the verizon tcp\ip optimizer.  It is the ONLY one I ever heard of that optimizes upload.  they all optimize download, but not upload.   oh, and if yer using win 7, you might have to jump through hoops to get it to cooperate with the optimizer changes.

Thank you for the suggestion, but Running the Optimizer is NOT the solution.  It has already been done which is why the Analysis is giving the message; "Congratulations! This test result indicates your service is operating normally." If it had not been optimized it would state at the end of the speed test  "Your PC has not been Optimized...."

Also when I sign in and then click the link at the end of the speed test to "check the speed for my plan"  the drop down list shown does NOT list my speed plan of 25 Mbps/15 Mbps among the 'Available' plans.  The only listing for a 25 Mbps Download is 25 Mbps Upload.  25/15 Used to be listed there and now it's not. This indicates to me that something  has changed with the speeds available for my account.

0 Likes
wingdam
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm out here in SoCal and have the same problem. I subscribed to 25-15 and last week it dropped to around 25-5 the highest upload speed I've seen is 8. I'm both Microsoft and Intel certified and the problem is not on my end. When ever I call tech support I get canned responses and you're treated as though it's always on your end. I suspect that we we're supposed to be upgraded to 25-25 but something went wrong in the process. A article in todays OC register suggested that all the 25-15 accounts should now be 25-25.

0 Likes
bluesman2211
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also have FIOS internet 25/15, for about 2 months. The first two weeks after install were great ..now as of about Jan 16, I have been getting 25.419/6.54 no matter what I do: ipconfig/release, ipconfig/renew, ipconfig flushdns; turn off/on  this cheap ActionTec modem, delete history and so on. What is going on here?  HSI was much worse (dropping all the time...).  I am paying for 25/15 and am not getting it ...forget the FIOS Optimizer , it does nothing.    Forget VZ Agent, it tells you what you already know and I refuse to stay on the phone for 2 - 3 hours while a first contact "tech" reads thru a checklist .  I live where Comcast is the major carrier but the horror stories I have heard about their Internet scares me more....      

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

FYI   Speed Optimizers have no affect on upload, there is literally no registry values that affect uploads in windows.   so if your download is fine, I wouldn't bother doing the speed optimizers.  Also Where are you guys doing these speed tests at?

I use speak easy and speedtest.net and they both have been struggling to give good upload speedtest results.

Use Verizon's website http://speedtest.verizon.net   and test there.  and post your results.

0 Likes
jkiv
Contributor - Level 1

Problem Resolved.  My Upload speeds are back up to more than 15 Mbps.  Verizon Speed test over the last 2 days have been consistantly better.

My original post was in reference to Verizon Speed Test results on a wired desktop and a Wireless Laptop both  running Windows 7 64 bit. Both were returning Upload speeds of 7 Mbps or less.  I had previously run the Verizon Optimizer on the Desktop.

What I did:  I ran the Verizon speed test using an older wireless laptop running Vista 32 bit several times.  The results were consistant with the 25/15 plan, therefore I knew that the problem was with my network settings on the Win 7 installations.

The Laptop's Network Settings were still at the Windows default settings has I had not run the optimizer on it.  I ran the Verizon Optimizer and rebooted then tested with Verizon Speed Test.  It returned much better than 15 Upload Speed (Wireless). 

I then immediately did the speed test on the desktop and got a dismal 6 Mbps upload.  So I reset the Desktops Network Settings to the Windows Default and then re-ran the optimizer.   The result was more than triple the previous upload speed result.  That was yesterday and subsequent test since then show that the increased upload speed is holding.

My experience with these 2 PC's, alternating the speed tests, both before and after running the Optimizer on them, leads me to believe that the optimizer had a significant effect on Upload Speed.   The download speed was good throughout without any real change before or after.

0 Likes
TampaSpazz1

I noticed a drop in download and up load speed about a week ago. I am on  wired Macs both at home and at office. The speed is slower than old DSL. Has anyone else noticed how FIOS has slowed?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@JoeK wrote:

So I reset the Desktops Network Settings to the Windows Default and then re-ran the optimizer. 

out of curiosity did you run the speed test after returning the network settings to windows default, before running the optimizer?

0 Likes