Droping Internet Connection Randomly

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Droping Internet Connection Randomly

Message 1 of 5
(822 Views)

Hello,

Recently I noticed my Internet randomly stops working for roughly 5-10 seconds. Then comes right back up. This usually happens randomly. But most often it seems when the Internet is being more heavily used.

I watched the lights on the gateway and it appears that the Internet light shuts off then, comes back orange then green immidiately. All within the 5-10 seconds.

I have reset the gateway and turned it off for 10 minutes. Nothing seems to be working.

The model of the gateway is ActionTec MI424-WR. I have had this gateway for quite some time.

When it works, it works. But it has been stumbling like this for a month or so now.

Any help/suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Droping Internet Connection Randomly

Message 2 of 5
(771 Views)

Mine has been doing the same thing for the past 3-4 weeks. Sometimes it's every 1-2 hours, other times it goes 5-8 hours, sometimes it's every 30 mins. I've tried resetting it several times. I ran a keep alive bash script to see when it's happening. The router is clearly resetting itself at random times. When I look in the router logs it only shows starting up from the last time the internet cut out.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Message 3 of 5
(741 Views)

I would start by follwoing the steps here to determine how the signal input to your router is:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16569

If your results are less than 200 Mb/s, you may have a problem in the coax feed from your ONT to your router.

In any case, I would call tech support and see if they offer any help.  You might urge them to send you a replacement router if they don't see anything else wrong with your system.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 4 of 5
(724 Views)

@eljefe wrote:

I would start by follwoing the steps here to determine how the signal input to your router is:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16569

If your results are less than 200 Mb/s, you may have a problem in the coax feed from your ONT to your router.

In any case, I would call tech support and see if they offer any help.  You might urge them to send you a replacement router if they don't see anything else wrong with your system.

MOCA seems to be in working order. Both stats are in the 230Mbps area.

I will have to call Verizon. Maybe the Gateway is defective.

Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 5 of 5
(720 Views)

Same here the past few days, FIOS is sending a tech out here tomorrow. Internet has been in and out for the last few days.

What is really odd that the FIOS speedtest site shows a normal download test, but the upload times out.  I suspect it is an issue on their end, as all I use their router for is wired connectivity.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.