Dual Router Configuration Help
hawaiianbrian73

I bought a Netgear N900 router to run my internal network behind the Actiontec due to the slower speeds of the Verizon router.  I have been able to successfully setup this configuration without any major issues ( not necessarily in order )

1. turned off wireless on Actiontec

2. on the actiontec, set start ip address to 192.168.1.11 and end address to 192.168.1.254

3. turned off the DHCP server on the Netgear (this is what I am trying to find a alternate solution)

4. set ip address to 192.168.1.2

So when the DHCP is disabled on the Netgear, there are some features that do not work such as the Wireless Guest accounts which is a big reason why I bought this router.

I am technical enough to be dangerous but not smart enough to know how to figure this out and understand "why" the configuration must be this way.

I spoke with the "geek squad" at best buy about this and they were about as helpful as my 5 year old (go figure).  I thought, (again not very smart here) that I should be able to setup a separate "sub network" from the Netgear like using 10.0.0.1 address to keep it isolated from the Verizon and that way I could keep the DHCP enabled on the Netgear.  Nope that didn't work or I missed something.

Has anyone been able to use this type of configuration sucessfully?  I have been looking for awhile and all of the suggestions require the DHCP to be disabled on the "secondary" router.

0 Likes