Dynamic DNS on MI424WR router
trekcaptainusa
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'd like to be able to configiure the MI424WR router to auto-update a dyndns.org record so that I don't have to configure it manually and so that I don't need to set up a dynamic dns update client on one of my systems?

This is the screen I have for setting up DNS:

http://www.filedump.net/dumped/screenshot1302738584.png

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Dynamic DNS on MI424WR router
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

The reason I asked about PPPoE is that it's not common any more, however new installs are sometimes provisioned on PPPoE if there is unused PPPoE capacity in the CO.

One thing I noticed in your screen shot is that you specified the host name as tenseiga.dyndns.com, but made reference to dyndns.org in your first post.  Try using your fully qualified domain name (i.e. tenseiga.dyndns.org) in the host name field.

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1
  • Are you sure your sub-domain is a subdomain of dyndns.com and not one of the other available domains, such as dyndns.net or dyndns.org?
  • Are you really on PPPoE?  i.e.  Does your main status page shows PPPoE Connected? 

PPPoE was only used on installations prior to mid-2006.

0 Likes
trekcaptainusa
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is the applicable general status section of the router's general status screen:

http://www.filedump.net/dumped/screenshot1302739683.png

The system seems to be stating that it is connected to the internet via PPPoE, which is the WAN connection system on this router, so unless its misidentifying the connection type to the internet, its PPPoE.

Also, DynDNS.com no longer offers any free dynamic DNS hostnames with the domain section being dyndns.com, the only options include dyndns.org, dyndns.info, and other items.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Strange, I thought they'd changed the firmware on the Actiontec so that the screens were the same on the Westell and the Actiontec yet your Dynamic DNS screen is nothing at all like mine on a Westell.

The Westell only asks for Host name and provider with a user name on that provider.  Not sure why the actiontec would want to know the connection as there is only one active connection on the router.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

The reason I asked about PPPoE is that it's not common any more, however new installs are sometimes provisioned on PPPoE if there is unused PPPoE capacity in the CO.

One thing I noticed in your screen shot is that you specified the host name as tenseiga.dyndns.com, but made reference to dyndns.org in your first post.  Try using your fully qualified domain name (i.e. tenseiga.dyndns.org) in the host name field.

cbwoodstock91
Contributor - Level 1

Hi,

if you have a problem with your DNS , i think there is a ink that you can post the issue and it will solved

Let me check that for you

we wil keep in touch

0 Likes
trekcaptainusa
Enthusiast - Level 2

The issue was with setting up a dynamic DNS update system so that it would keep a DynDNS.com-provided dynamic DNS host updated.  I figured out the issue.

trekcaptainusa
Enthusiast - Level 2

The issue was a mistake in which the actual hostname got erased from the DynDNS.com hosts database.  I had to remake the host with a different name, and its updating successfully now.