Dynamic IP Synch Apps
Satch2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is it ok to use an application I've seen advertised that detects when Verizon changes my IP address and updates a (DNS) server so my web site will still work?

If not then I'll have to get a static IP which I believe costs a lot more and can't be bundled with my TV and phone service.

Any information about this would be appreciated.

Re: Dynamic IP Synch Apps
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Satch wrote:

Is it ok to use an application I've seen advertised that detects when Verizon changes my IP address and updates a (DNS) server so my web site will still work?

If not then I'll have to get a static IP which I believe costs a lot more and can't be bundled with my TV and phone service.

Any information about this would be appreciated.

DynDNS support is in the router.

Set up your account with DynDNS.com.

@logon to the router @ 192.168.1.1 and select advanced

select personal domain name in the dns box

enter the account details

the router will keep dyndns up to date

0 Likes
Re: Dynamic IP Synch Apps
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct ... DynDNS is totally a permitted application.

Note however that running a web server exposed to the Internet on your home residential network connection is likely a Terms of Service violation (you can find those by clicking the "Terms and Conditions" link at the bottom of this page).   You'll also find that a web server running on standard ports is likely to also not be reachable from the Internet as Verizon has reportedly been blocking various "server" ports (smtp, http, etc.) to reduce the impact of people using the service inappropriately or infected with a "bot" or other piece of malware.

If you need a server, you need to either upgrade to a business class service or contract with a hosting provider (there are numerous providers out there that run as low as a couple dollars per month).

0 Likes