E3200: LED Ring Around WPS Button
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

My new leased E3200 has an interesting quirk not shared by my two other E3200s.

The LED ring around the WPS button remains brightly illuminated even after the LEDs on the rear of the unit have extinguished.

Now the ring on each of the other two extenders does dim when the rear LEDs extinguish.

All three extenders are updated.

The only difference between the new extender and the older ones is the hardware version. The new extender is hardware 1103.

I believe that the older extenders are either 1102 or 1101, but, I'm too lazy to go downstairs or log into my computer to verify. 😴

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: E3200: LED Ring Around WPS Button
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe the dimming is achieved through Pulse Width Modulation (PWM), which is controlling the LED's brightness through digital signal. PWM therefore is a software implementation, which is likely written to the firmware itself, and does not relate to the hardware versions.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

It seems weird that all three extenders are fully updated, but the newest hardware revision buck's the trend.

The router mimics the old extenders in that the LED ring dims in concert with the rear LEDs. 🤔

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

G3100's new firmware does provide a way to adjust the LED brightness and stay-on duration. Have you given that setting a try?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hey Cang!

I see there is an option to change the LED brightness under "Utilities" in the router, but, that setting appears to alter the LEDs on the router itself.

There is no "Utilities" tab in any of the E3200s.

The two older extenders which I checked and they are hardware version 1102s. My new extender is hardware version 1103.

The LEDs on the rear of the new extender do extinguish per normal. The front LED ring on just that one particular extender remains fully illuminated with no apparent way to dim the ring. 🤔

0 Likes