EMachine T1090 connect to internet via Actiontec router
Mel207
Enthusiast - Level 2

Background. We reported noise on our Verizon telephone line to Verizon (still have noise on the telephone line by the way) & Verizon reported they would fix the noisy phone line by installing FIBER at no cost. They took out the Westell router and put in the Actiontec router. Now we, it seems, have fiber telephone and fiber to the pc/laptop but since the Westell and DSL are gone the desktop will not connect to the internet (i.e. so far I can’t connect).

I called Verizon three times. First time I was told the only fix is to install on the eMachine an Ethernet NIC card with RJ-45 plug (the eMachine NIC card has an USB plug) or get the eMachine Wi-Fi capable. Second time I was told only one Ethernet port on the Actiontec (it has four Ethernet ports) was OPEN. I was told to do a factory reset and this would fix my problem. I did this and the problem is NOT fixed. The third time I called the service tech told me the eMachine cannot connect using the Actiontec MI424WR Rev. 1 because the eMachine is not or cannot use WPA2. (I don’t know if this is true or false.)

I saw on UTube a young man with an eMachine T1090 using Wi-Fi. He purchased Wi-Fi thumb rx/tx from LinkSys or some such component company plus necessary software and was connected to the internet.

Currently I have the Actiontec router. The eMachine NIC card has an USB port. The Ethernets cable provided with the eMachine is a “Y” Ethernet cable i.e. out of the router/modem is a RJ-45 plug that “Y’s” into a RJ-45 plug and a USB plug. The eMachine has input to NIC card via USB port.

Does anyone know if I can connect the eMachine to the internet using the Actiontec MI424WR Rev.1 router? How?

Thank you for any help or advice in advance. Sincerely, Mel

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: EMachine T1090 connect to internet via Actiontec router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Mel207 wrote:

1. purchase and install Ethernet NIC card i.e. a NIC with RJ-45 plug onto the eMachine, or

2. go Wi-Fi eMachine i.e. purchase a Wi-Fi thumb drive + suppor s/w for the eMachine USB port and Wi-Fi from eMachine to ActionTec fiber router.

If you concur please let me know.

cheers

mkm

Either one of those will work fine. If the eMachines will be living permanently within feet of the router, I would get the NIC card and cable up to the Fiber router. That will give you the most reliable connection and the best performance.

If the router is far away from the eMachines, then by all means go with Wireless. Every Wireless card I've seen comes with the driver software to control the card.

The reason for the FiOS routers not having USB support is due to the overhead USB introduces. It is very CPU intensive, and trying to push Fiber speeds through USB is inefficient for a router to. Additionally, it is assumed most computers have Ethernet / RJ-45 or Wireless on them to connect up.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any computer with an ethernet port should be able to connect to the Actiontec router via a straight through cable.

DO you have any other devices you can use to prove Internet is up and funcional?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is no support for RJ-45 to USB on the ActionTec router. That cable likely came with your previous DSL modem, which supported the USB connection on one of the ports. 

The eMachines should be new enough to feature an Ethernet port. Please connect both ends of the Ethernet cable up to the RJ-45 (oversized telephone jack) ports. Connecting in this fashion should be "Plug and Play" meaning as soon as you plug the cable in, the Internet should work off the bat. The ActionTec router supplied by Verizon should have also come with the proper cable for doing this.

If you still have trouble please let us know.

Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

The computer will require you to have either a NIC card installed or a wireless card in order to connect to the Actiontec router. You can pick up either for between 20-30 dollars.

Mel207
Enthusiast - Level 2

KEY:  "There is no support for RJ-45 to USB on the ActionTec router. " This is my / our problem. (My response is: why not? There should be. Things should get better not worst.)

Unfortunately the eMachine is vintage 2002-3 and does NOT have an Eternet port. IT ONLY HAS THE USB PORT FOR INTERNET CONNECTION.

It appears you provided the correct formulation of the "new problem" I / we now have since fiber replaced copper (due to a noisey land line telephone problem). Before DSL modem/router, now fiber router.

In summary, if I really want to connect the eMachine to the internet with the fiber router (ActionTec) I have two routes:

1. purchase and install Ethernet NIC card i.e. a NIC with RJ-45 plug onto the eMachine, or

2. go Wi-Fi eMachine i.e. purchase a Wi-Fi thumb drive + suppor s/w for the eMachine USB port and Wi-Fi from eMachine to ActionTec fiber router.

cheers

mkm

0 Likes
Mel207
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you.

I understand NIC cards.

The eMachine does NIC card via a USB port. It worked fine with DSL Westell router. The upgrade to ActionTec and fiber is what screwed things up.

Thanks for the response. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Mel207 wrote:

cheers

mkm

Either one of those will work fine. If the eMachines will be living permanently within feet of the router, I would get the NIC card and cable up to the Fiber router. That will give you the most reliable connection and the best performance.

If the router is far away from the eMachines, then by all means go with Wireless. Every Wireless card I've seen comes with the driver software to control the card.

The reason for the FiOS routers not having USB support is due to the overhead USB introduces. It is very CPU intensive, and trying to push Fiber speeds through USB is inefficient for a router to. Additionally, it is assumed most computers have Ethernet / RJ-45 or Wireless on them to connect up.

0 Likes