Early Termination Fee Disappointment
jimbasile1

Let me start by saying I am a long-time verizon customer. I love the service and never had any problems with service or customer service. We have the highest FIOS package available with two dvr boxes and two satellite boxes. We also have verzion for our cell service with 7 lines and 6 of those are smartphones. Needless to say, the amount we pay verizon per month is about $600 between the two services. We were recently notified that the house we have been renting for the past 15 years is being sold and we need to move. We are moving to an area that verizon does not service. My extreme disappointment is with the unwillingness of verizon to make an exception regarding the early termination fee of $150 they are asking us to pay. If the move was our choice I would have no problem paying the fee but this move is beyond our control and we have no choice. In talking to customer service, they were very polite in saying, in effect, sorry! it's in the contract so you need to pay. They even suggested that we ask the property owners to pay the fee! I realize that the money I pay per month is just a drop in the bucket for verizon but if they choose to not make an exception, I will probably not consider verizon ever again for anything and I will make sure that if I'm ever asked my opinion, I will tell my story. We may even consider taking our cell service elsewhere. Again, I know I am nobody to such a big giant but if their decision is to not make the exception they will lose much more than just the $150 to keep a potential future customer. Signed, Disappointed Customer

0 Likes
Re: Early Termination Fee Disappointment
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If they made an exception for you, how many others would ask for exceptions as well?

BTW, do you have a lease?

If so, in most locations, the owner can't force you out until your lease is up (not a lawyer, but have learned this over the years).

Maybe you can negotiate this fee with the seller as part of your leaving. (Why is this so apalling to you?)

0 Likes
jimbasile1

Whats wrong with asking for an exception? Especially if it's a valid reason. I don't see anything wrong with a large enterprise like verizon making a good failth gesture to a customer that gives them six to seven thousand dollars per year for their services. So you would be just fine paying the etf in my situation? I don't think so.

We don't have a lease, its been month to month for 15 years and we had reasonable expectation of staying here for another 5+ years. The seller is not "negotiating" with us to move, we are being evicted. So I doubt they would give  us anyting but our security deposit back. They did not ask us to subscribe to verizon or any other utility/service so why should they have to pay? I don't find it appaling, I just wouldn't expect them to be saddled with the fee. It's nothing out of verizon's pocket to make an exception.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you read this forum, lots of people are asking for an exception from the ETF.

They all have what they expect to be valid reasons.

Once Verizon (or any other company that charges ETFs) starts with exceptions more and more folks will want them.

Couldn't hurt to aks them to pay your ETF (no more than asking Verizon for an exception from charging itt).

0 Likes