Early Termination Fee
voidpointer

So I'm moving to Mckinney Texas, and FIOS Internet isn't provided at my new address. I currently am in a 1 year contract for FIOS internet only.

Talking with a supervisor today, I am told that because I'm moving to a NON-Verizon area, I am obligated to pay the Early Termination Fee (ETF). I think this is {word filter avoidance}. This is out of my control, I would gladly continue using FIOS at my new address if I could.

Are they allowed to charge me an ETF? I am definitely not paying this, even if it goes to a collection agency. I need some advice about this. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Early Termination Fee
JC1232

When I signed up for my account the agent on the phone told me that if I moved to a non-verizon area I could break the contract without the fee.  Well, well.  Flash forward 8 months and they back-tracked.  It is 100.00% fraudulent on Verizon's end.  I am never using them again.  If I had the means I would take them to court on principle...

0 Likes
EpicFail1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Don't pay it.

Don't leave a fowarding address.

Contact the people over at conumerist.com,  let them know you scenario and the y may help.

Also contact Verizon Guy on Twitter.

0 Likes
voidpointer

Unfortunately I already gave them my forwarding address 😞

Also, if I don't pay it, it goes to the Collection Agency and my credit gets screwed up. Is it really worth it? I don't want bad credit...

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

... and a failure to pay a bill ... as satisfying as that may sound ... would only serve to potentially ruin your credit record.  Not worth it.  You made an agreement in exchange for a reduced rate and probably a waiving of installation fees ... and now they want you to hold up your end of the bargain.

With that said ... never hurts to plead your case nicely to a customer service person.   They're the only ones who would be able to waive, reduce, or otherwise work something out with you.

0 Likes
voidpointer

Tried that, and unfortunately, no one cared. Verizon customer support has always sucked, though, so I don't expect much from them.

I've been a faithful customer for so long, dealing with $300+ overcharges on bills that take months to refund, dealing with customer service reps hanging up on me, I figured the least they could do is waive the ETF for something that shouldn't have an ETF to begin with. Now naive of me.

0 Likes