Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

Early Termination Fee

voidpointer
Contributor
Contributor

Early Termination Fee

Message 1 of 6
(5,689 Views)

So I'm moving to Mckinney Texas, and FIOS Internet isn't provided at my new address. I currently am in a 1 year contract for FIOS internet only.

Talking with a supervisor today, I am told that because I'm moving to a NON-Verizon area, I am obligated to pay the Early Termination Fee (ETF). I think this is {word filter avoidance}. This is out of my control, I would gladly continue using FIOS at my new address if I could.

Are they allowed to charge me an ETF? I am definitely not paying this, even if it goes to a collection agency. I need some advice about this. Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
JC123
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Early Termination Fee

Message 2 of 6
(5,340 Views)

When I signed up for my account the agent on the phone told me that if I moved to a non-verizon area I could break the contract without the fee.  Well, well.  Flash forward 8 months and they back-tracked.  It is 100.00% fraudulent on Verizon's end.  I am never using them again.  If I had the means I would take them to court on principle...

EpicFail
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 6
(5,303 Views)

Don't pay it.

Don't leave a fowarding address.

Contact the people over at conumerist.com,  let them know you scenario and the y may help.

Also contact Verizon Guy on Twitter.

voidpointer
Contributor
Contributor

Message 4 of 6
(5,265 Views)

Unfortunately I already gave them my forwarding address 😞

Also, if I don't pay it, it goes to the Collection Agency and my credit gets screwed up. Is it really worth it? I don't want bad credit...

lasagna
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 5 of 6
(5,258 Views)

... and a failure to pay a bill ... as satisfying as that may sound ... would only serve to potentially ruin your credit record.  Not worth it.  You made an agreement in exchange for a reduced rate and probably a waiving of installation fees ... and now they want you to hold up your end of the bargain.

With that said ... never hurts to plead your case nicely to a customer service person.   They're the only ones who would be able to waive, reduce, or otherwise work something out with you.

voidpointer
Contributor
Contributor

Message 6 of 6
(5,256 Views)

Tried that, and unfortunately, no one cared. Verizon customer support has always sucked, though, so I don't expect much from them.

I've been a faithful customer for so long, dealing with $300+ overcharges on bills that take months to refund, dealing with customer service reps hanging up on me, I figured the least they could do is waive the ETF for something that shouldn't have an ETF to begin with. Now naive of me.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title