Re: Email continually asking for password
Photoflash1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've got the same problem, "[AUTH] Authentication failed" with error: -17900. This is getting very annoying, and seems as if the problem lies on the Verizon end since sometimes authorization works, and sometimes it doesn't.  

I'm using Entourage, and deleted my preferences and all my accounts, and then re-entered all my account information.

Nothing seems to help:  Verizon, are you listening? 

0 Likes
Ucamuk1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Photoflash

Just an FYI, if you really want Verizon to listen, then you should use another method of contacting them.  Granted, there may be V people monitoring some of the forums, but as it reads on the topics page of each forum:

These Forums are a peer-to-peer support channel in which users help other users. If you need an answer from Verizon directly please Contact Us.

Message Edited by ucamuk on 11-28-2008 06:16 PM
0 Likes
jlr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks PhotoFlash - I was in the forums hoping for input from other users and your post at least confirms that I'm not alone 🙂 The fact that our work Verizon account is doing the same thing, with a different mail client, Eudora, led me to think it were'nt me anyhow...

Ucamuk, thanks for your input too. Already spoke to a Verizon Rep who suggested re-installing my email package, even though it works fine for my .mac account. I chose to ignore that advice.

The email response mechanism is a joke, in my opinion, all automated with the usual responses about checking settings.

So, not sure where to turn next. Perhaps a human again, I dunno... 

0 Likes
Re: Email continually asking for password - Solved
jlr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to Ernie Stamper on the Apple forums:

Based upon some other recent reports about Verizon accounts, please check Mail Preferences/Accounts/Advanced to see if the method Authentication has become Authenticated POP (APOP) rather than Password

This worked for me. 

0 Likes
Not really solved: Email continually asking for password - Solved
Photoflash1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately, I use MS Entourage and my trouble are continuing.  

I have three selections for 'advanced receiving' and none are checked at this time:

1.  This POP service requires a secure connection

2.  Override default POP port: 110

3.  Always use secure password

Would anyone know if any of these selections are the equivalent of APOP?

Thanks... 

* I also have an iPod touch that I've been using for nearly a year.  Until recently, I have had no problems receiving mail, but now it's having the same symptoms as my desktop Entourage.  Coincidence? 

Message Edited by Photoflash on 12-02-2008 12:34 PM
Message Edited by Photoflash on 12-02-2008 12:46 PM
0 Likes
Re: Not really solved: Email continually asking for password - Solved
JerryW
Enthusiast - Level 3

Photoflash -- I don't think you said whether you're using a Mac or a PeeCee.  All of the authentication-failure reports seem to be from Mac users, which tends to let Verizon off the hook.  It'd be very interesting to see if similar things are happening to Windoze users.

Please see my parallel posting in this forum "Email authentication problem on only some of Verizon's servers".

With respect to your question:

1. I suspect this means using SSL, which the Verizon server does NOT support.

2. From my experience with Eudora and Mail, port 110 seems to be right

3. Anyone's guess -- this could mean APOP or CRAM-MD5 or some other secure authentication method.  POP3 allows several alternatives.  We/you need more documentation, which MS isnt so famous for...

0 Likes
Re: Not really solved: Email continually asking for password - Continued
jlr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wasn't clear, I apologize - the setting in Mail is PASSWORD, not APOP - somehow it had changed to APOP...

I am still having the problem at work using Eudora... it has slowed down to once an hour or so but remains annoying 🙂 

0 Likes
Re: Not really solved: Email continually asking for password - Continued
Photoflash1
Enthusiast - Level 3

JerryW -- I'm using a G4 Mac running OS X 10.4.11.

Today, so far, I'm not getting any error messages.  Hopefully, this will continue. 

Oops...Spoke too soon...authorization error messages are now returning.  

Message Edited by Photoflash on 12-03-2008 11:56 AM
Message Edited by Photoflash on 12-03-2008 11:56 AM
0 Likes
JerryW
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think that Verizon has fixed the server-specific mail-check authentication problem.  See my 12-04-2008 posting in

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&thread.id=1018

Photoflash1
Enthusiast - Level 3
So far, so good today. :smileyhappy:
0 Likes