Emails that I send are being blocked
thompa
Enthusiast - Level 1

HI there,

I just started having an issue when I send emails... I receive a 'System Adminstrator' message which tells me that they are regarded as SPAM!

This has happened with the last three emails that I have sent. Each one was directed to three of my friends. REading the Verizon 'Help' section it advised forwarding the messages to 'spamdetector.update@verizon.net' and then the 'third party organisation' would determine if the emssage was SPAM or not.. and if not wouldallow it to be transmitted. However tere was a note that the sender would not be notified.

Has anyone ele had this? How do I know whether the messages have beens sent / received or not?

All of my messages were ordinary emails each sent to one address.... so how would they have (wrongly) determined that they were spam?

This is very frustrating!

Allan

0 Likes
Re: Emails that I send are being blocked
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

The problem is probably NOT on the Verizon end. Generally spam is bounced by the receiving network's administrator. Often it is done on the basis of ISP that sent it, in this case probably verizon. At some point in the past the administrator of the network you are sending too has decided that Verizon.net email is SPAM. Talking to verizon, or doing anything on the verizon end is likely to be pointless.

You need to contact the administrator at the receiving end and get them to remove the block on verizon.net email addresses.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@thompa wrote:

HI there,

I just started having an issue when I send emails... I receive a 'System Adminstrator' message which tells me that they are regarded as SPAM!

This has happened with the last three emails that I have sent. Each one was directed to three of my friends. REading the Verizon 'Help' section it advised forwarding the messages to 'spamdetector.update@verizon.net' and then the 'third party organisation' would determine if the emssage was SPAM or not.. and if not wouldallow it to be transmitted. However tere was a note that the sender would not be notified.

Has anyone ele had this? How do I know whether the messages have beens sent / received or not?

All of my messages were ordinary emails each sent to one address.... so how would they have (wrongly) determined that they were spam?

This is very frustrating!

Allan

Contact your friends and have them contact their ISP. I have has Comcast blacklist Verizon or verizon IP addresses on more then one occasion. Go figure.

I even think Verizon has blacklisted Comcast on one or more occasions. Blacklisting wars? How childish.

Message Edited by prisaz on 02-15-2009 05:12 PM
0 Likes
thompa
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for replying - but...

Nothing to do with who the emails are being sent to... tehy are not getting out of Verizon.

one of the emails was to a hotmail account... another to my Google account and the third was to J Walter Thompson in London (@jwt.com

Allan

0 Likes
Shirley4
Enthusiast - Level 2

You probably got a message such as:

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 't', Account: 'Verizon MyAccount, Server: 'outgoing.verizon.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 The message you attempted to send was determined to be spam. Please visit http://www.verizon.net/spamfaq for more information.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC69

You are probably totally accurate when you say "they have (wrongly) determined that they were spam".

I am a new customer. I created a new subaccount and I got the above message when I tried to send a test message to myself (a different account). There was nothing in the body of the message and just "t" for the subject. I know there was no reason to consider the message to be spam. I also checked another message that I had succeeded in sending using a different account (I think it was sent to the Verizon account istead of from it) and it had nothing hidden in the message it was not supposed to, so I was confident that the message I was sending was not compromised. I use plain-text format by default, which makes it essentially impossible for messages to be sent infected. Even if it were infected, that would not be the same thing as spam.

I also sent a message using the online email system, since it was a new account.

This was Thursday (the 12th) night. I called customer support and they insisted it could not possibly be a problem with Verizon. They asked me if I was able to send a message using the online system and I said I was able to. They said that the online system uses the same software as is used when I send email using my email program (I am trying to avoid beint technical). They insisted it cannot possibly be a Verizon problem. I said I will probably wait until the next day and they just had to insist that the problem will still exist. I said I might be wrong but if they are wrong will they admit and they just insisted I was wrong. I told them that the online system uses the HTTP protocol and my email program (Windows Mail aka Outlook Express) uses SMTP, so the software is not entirely the same, but they insisted that they were correct. They insisted Ihad to do something such as contact my Antivirus software vendor or something such as that.

Within two hours, I was able to send and receive email and I did nothing to fix it. I can't be sure (I am willing to admit if I am wrong) but it seems essentially certain that it was a temporary problem with Verizon.

I hope there is a way for Verizon to determine that it wa their problem and tell the customer support agent that they were wrong. I talked with a supervisor person that said everythning I sad above that he said.

0 Likes
Shirley4
Enthusiast - Level 2

To : The problem probably was on the Verizon end. The error message I got reffered to a Verizon web page; the message defiitely did not get bounced by "the receiving network's administrator". There was totally no reason for the message I sent to be considered spam. In other words, there was nothing spammy about my message; definitely and absoulutely nothing.

If I am wrong, I will admit it. Is there a way to determine the truth? Those Verizon agents are .... well they should not behave the way they did.

The verizon system is having many problems. I hope they will admit that. I think the support people need to be told that the system might have problems. The support person could have simply said that there might be a problem with the system and then ask me to wait. I voluntarily suggested waiting and they insisted that that won't make a difference. A good support person would make an effort to ensure that what I was doing was correct and then conclude that the cause is unknown, instead of insisting that it cannot possibly be a Verizon problem.

All the other support people I have spoken with were nice and did help or at least tried to help. A couple did not know enough to help, but they tried.

You however are probably making an invalid assumption that it probably is not a Verizon problem.

0 Likes
JSayer

Had the same problem beginning last thursday 2/12.  Same response from Verizon - can't be their problem since webmail works.  When I tried to explain to the useless tech support person that I was sending mail using SMTP I was informed that he knew how mail worked and that he could only provide assistance for the webmail product and that if I was using MS Outlook that Verizon was not obligated to help troubleshoot MS Outlook problems.  When I tried to explain to them that I was receiving a message directly from Verizon indicating that they were blocking my mail becaue they thought it was spam, i was again told that if it didn't happen when using the webmail product, it wasn't a Verizon problem.  this went on and on with the tech support person refusing to listen to my explanation of the problem.

I asked to speak with a Supervisor and was told NO!  This is not customer support.  As far as I am concerned they should remove every commercial from TV indicating that they are an improvement over comcast.  Their tech support is the worst of any vendor that I have dealt with, including Comcast.  At least they will allow you to speak with other tech support or a supervisor when requested.  Neither support organization helps their customers.  They only read from their script like robots.

I'm thoroughy disgusted with Verizon's tech support team.  they know that everyone else is just as bad so they don't have to provide good service.  sure would be nice if someone at one of these ISP's was as interested in keeping customers as they are at signing up as many as they can as quickly as they can.

John

0 Likes
Shirley4
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is interesting, John. I hope the Verizon people see this.

In my case, I asked to talk with a supervisor very quickly and he said everything I said he said in my message.

I did have a good experience yesterday with a support person and a couple of days before that. I spoke with a nice woman on the weekend that told me there are separate numbers we can call to report problems such as this. I have not done that yet but I intend to. In case it helps, see Verizon FiosFAQ - Where is Fios tv's corporate headquarters and what is the phone number?

0 Likes
fiosuserpa

I'm also having this same issue and well Tech has not been very helpful as I do not think they are all that well trained for a situation like this. It appears as Verizon has started to block outgoing email on any account that is not their own account.

I'm am being told even by DNS Tech that this has always been the case, but in my case this is not true for over a year now. So in other words you can not use port 25, 26, 80, or 8025 without having a static IP address which means more money to them as you must sign up for a business account..

Is this even legal with no notice and to strong arm us into upgrading with not a single notice, well lets just say this will not end here.  The issue is clear, if you look at the Samhaus.org site and type in your own ip, you will see they have it blocked for any outgoing emails no using their own server.

I guess I will simplify just find some other provider since they have no clue what I'm talking about after three hours of tech conversation.

0 Likes
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

I think you will find that most ISP now block access to port 25 off their own network unless you have a business type account. That was my experience with Qwest and Cox Cable anyway. So before your change ISP's, you will need to verify that they permit off network port 25 access with whatever type of account you are planning on having.

I remember when Cox did it, they weren't exactly upfront about the fact that they had done it, so even though it is a common practice, not all providers admit to the practice.

Some providers even route all port 25 requests to their own SMTP server, regardless of what you have configured in your email client.

0 Likes