Enabling Ethernet Port on ONT
Maeztro
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know this has been discussed a few times here but I am still searching for an answer.  We are currently running Cat6 cabling throughout the entire house.  We are going to move the Quantum Gateway in to a dedicated space in a closet where all the cabling will terminate with a few additional switches.  Is it worth it to have the ethernet port enabled on the ONT and run a cable from there to the Quantum or should we just go coax?  I also have TV through FiOS so we are running the coax either way to the closet.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Enabling Ethernet Port on ONT
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are going to want Internet above 100M, you will need to have Ethernet.

If you are running a coax anyway, running an ethernet as well is little to no extra work.

Why not do it and have it for the future.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have TV service?

If so, you will still need coax from ONT for that.

And Quantum router will need connection to coax to provide access to Internet for STBs to get guide data and VOD.

0 Likes
Maeztro
Enthusiast - Level 1
Yup. Still keeping tv. So should I run an Ethernet cable in addition to the coax I am running to the closet or is doing Ethernet a waste of time?

Thanks!
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are going to want Internet above 100M, you will need to have Ethernet.

If you are running a coax anyway, running an ethernet as well is little to no extra work.

Why not do it and have it for the future.

Brewskier11

can the Ethernet port be enable by me? Also how?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Brewskier1 wrote:

can the Ethernet port be enable by me? Also how?

No.

Contact Verizon support via chat and they'll do it for you.  Takes a few minutes and doesn't cost anything.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes