Enclousure for Verizon ONT
rubenmepa

I installed Verizon Fios less than one year ago. At that time they installed an old ONT model made in 2002. Recently the ONT died and Verizon replaced it for a new one. The new ONT is really small and the technician did not install any enclosure that protects the fiber-optics as they had done with the old ONT. I am wondering why the technician did not provide any enclosure. I am very dissapointed with the job of the technician.

0 Likes
Re: Enclousure for Verizon ONT
jonjones1
Legend

You did not say if this ONT is located inside or outside your home.

if outside it would be of a type to withstand the elements. If this is an internal home unit then it’s protected via being indoors.

a customer should not have any reason to mess with the fiber optics and if it really is a hazard and not an eyesore then call Verizon back and have them wrap up the fiber etc a little neater.

0 Likes
rubenmepa

In this case the ONT is located in interior, but in any case the fiber-optic is really delicate and should be protected by using a proper enclousure. I am wondering why Verizon does not provides enclosures like in this case.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Could be cost, could be lazy installation it could be that it is located in a somewhat safe location. 

In any case unless you have gremlins or small children pulling at wires and the like I would not worry about it. Like I said if you really have a concern just call Verizon and see what they say (or do)

0 Likes
rubenmepa

I will. I wonder if other people has the fiber-optiocs exposed as I do.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@rubenmepawrote:

I will. I wonder if other people has the fiber-optiocs exposed as I do.

I have seen some photos of internal and external installations that make it look like it was done by a child. But they seem to work ok.

oh if you call and Verizon deems it not necessary and sends out an installer they have been known to charge $50 up to $250 depending on what was done. Make sure there us no charge before you have them come out .

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Was the original ONT in an enclosure?

When my external mounted ONT died, they took the guts out and put the new smaller one in it.

So they took the entire enclosure off the wall to mount the new one?

0 Likes
rubenmepa

The original ONT had a build-in an enclosure specific for the fiber, so they took the entire thing out of the wall and they mounted the tiny new ONT leaving all the cabling exposed.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@rubenmepawrote:

The original ONT had a build-in an enclosure specific for the fiber, so they took the entire thing out of the wall and they mounted the tiny new ONT leaving all the cabling exposed.

Again the other replyer is talking apples to oranges. Your situation is internal not external. Naturally the outside ont will or should be better fortified. That is just common sense.

again if you call to have it fixed they may charge you so be careful.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure how much extra optical cable you have.  Originally all installs I saw were outside and had a large amount of exta cable that was spooled around in a special part of the box that protected it, not so much that it needed protection but to keep customers and kids from playing with it.