Equipment from previous tenant; having trouble connecting router
essigmon
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I just moved apartments, and have set up a new Verizon account for Fios Internet. The person I spoke with on the phone said that my apartment was available for Fios and that I would be doing a self-install. I picked up the equipment yesterday and planned to set up the router. However, I cannot seem to find the ethernet jack AND equipment is still installed in the unit. Pictures are attached below for reference, as I'm not experienced with this and don't know what type of equipment it is. I also told and sent these same pictures to the Verizon rep by email when I first spoke with him, and he didn't seem to think it would be a problem?

Since I cannot find the ethernet jack, I'm wondering if it's because it's being taken up by this equipment that was left. Does anyone have any ideas or have you run into this before? I called the customer service number last night but it was a notoriously long wait and then when I finally spoke to someone she said she needed to redirect me to the Fios department. After doing so, I was not able to get through to them.

I've been on LTE for 2 days now and dont have unlimited data; also my internet plan started yesterday but I can't use it. I'm so frustrated! Any help is appreciated. I figured I'd try posting here before calling the dreaded Verizon customer support line again (and risk not getting through).

imageimage

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Equipment from previous tenant; having trouble connecting router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Open up the left door on that equipment and there will be an ethernet connection on the inside. Hopefully there is a provided 6 or 10 foot ethernet patch cord that came with your router. Otherwise just pick one up somewhere. Connect the one end into the equipment and the other end into the WAN usually whilte port of your router. 

essigmon
Enthusiast - Level 1

Oh my gosh thank you SO much. I feel so stupid... the instruction guide I was following was showing a wall ethernet jack, so that's what I was looking for. I had no clue that this equipment shown was for Internet hookup. 

I'll try that, and if it doesn't seem to work I will report back.

Thank you!! 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No problem. Depending on the set up there may or may not be an ethernet jack. But that equipment will be the starting point.