Ethernet Port vs COAX
pjkiernan

Ok so I want Vz to enable my ehternet port on my ONT, however I don't want to lose OSG and the other features on my TV...

So since I am currently on Coax can i just have Vz enable my ethernet port, leave everything the same but run Cat6 to my own router?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Ethernet Port vs COAX
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Yes. If you just enable the ethernet port and run an ethernet cable to the router and leave everything else the same, then it will continue to work just as it is now.

The TV service doesnt care which you use. The coax is just easier to install so thats the way the techs install the service, but either works just as well.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

yes

run your cat 6 to the router, call vz and have them switch from coax / moca to ethernet.

they will do that with software.

and then you are home free.   AS LONG AS you leave the actiontec as the first connected device to that cat 6 run you shouldn't have a problem getting VOD and the program guide info. 

if you start putting other routers in the mix, that might be something you'd want to let us know, so we can point you in the right direction.

0 Likes
pjkiernan

Well I want to leave the actiontec as is with the COAX and runt the CAT6 to another router but not lose TV functionalaity..Is that possible...

Thanks

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

The following FAQ will help you

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@pjkiernan wrote:

Well I want to leave the actiontec as is with the COAX and runt the CAT6 to another router but not lose TV functionalaity..Is that possible...

Thanks

only if you connect your new router to the Verizon router. (daisy chain routers)

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

it won't be a simple set up but the dslreports faq that the other put up will guide you through.  it's considered an advanced set up and so the tech support for verizon won't support that set up but if you are decent at following FAQ's then that should walk you through what you are looking to do.

it is possible to do, how easy is it to do?   welllllllll that is a diff story.

Re: Ethernet Port vs. COAX
Steve234

I am trying to do the same thing. I connect to a VPN for work and my speed goes from 25MPS to about 5 using my current coax connection. I ran the Ethernet cable to the Verizon box and only then realized I need to call Verizon to enable Ethernet.

When I called the Tech Support stated I would need my own router to put in front of the Verizon actiontec router I am using.

Before I run out and buy a new router, can someone confirm if this is accurate? He stated this is what he had heard but could not explain why. He may be right but just was not an authority on the set up so I'd like to confirm before spending money on a new router.

Thanks!

Steve

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Steve, there is no need to buy another router. Not unless that is what you want to do.

Just run ethernet from the ONT to the WAN port of the Verizon router and have Verizon enable the ethernet port.

Now if you have TV service, just leave the coax connected to the router (for your on screen guide and VOD). Your router would use the ethernet for internet and coax to supply signal to the TV's. 

I think the Verizon agent you were speaking to may have been a little confused. There are many VPN's that do not like the Verizon router is all. Many people trying to use a VPN system end up switching routers. But this is because their VPN's do not work, not because they are changing to ethernet. 

If you want to use your own router, you need to change to ethernet.  But if you change to ethernet, you dont have to use your own router.

Steve234

OK great thanks that makes sense. I especially like this since I am not at all sure switching to Ethernet will solve my problem with the VPN.

We do have TV service so I will leave all the COAX cables in place.

Are there any settings I need to reconfigure? I do use a wireless laptop at times so am thinking I may have to set that up for a WAN setting...or maybe it is already set for that. I will check.

Thanks again for the advice - it's very much appreciated!!!

I'll report back when I do the switch to let folks know how it worked out and if it solved for the VPN speed issue.

Steve

0 Likes