Re: Ethernet line does not work when plugged into my Westell 327W.
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@viafax999 wrote:

Turn off the wireless side of the 327W then connect the ethernet cable from the VZ router to a LAN port on the Westell 327W.  You should then be able to connect your second machine to one of the other 3 LAN ports.

IMO, that advice may be confusing to the OP.  The OP wants to connect a second computer.  Presumably there are three remaining LAN ports on the Actiontec since the OP has not indicated an issue with being out of ports.  Introducing the 327W is adding needless complexiety unless there is some reason the OP has not stated why he needs to use the 327W.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Now that the OP's goal is becoming a little clearer and, I think includes not running another Cat 5 cable from his router, a simple solution would be an inexpensive switch.

Unlike the Westell router, a switch would require no configuration.  It would be plug and play and split the one Cat 5 cable coming in to the OP's computer room in to 4 or more ports.

I'd recommend a switch for the easiest solution.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@eljefe wrote:

Now that the OP's goal is becoming a little clearer and, I think includes not running another Cat 5 cable from his router, a simple solution would be an inexpensive switch.

Unlike the Westell router, a switch would require no configuration.  It would be plug and play and split the one Cat 5 cable coming in to the OP's computer room in to 4 or more ports.

Obviously buying a switch is the easiest solution.  However from what I read OP doesn't have a cat 5 cable long enough or the means to get through walls to get from the VZ router to his second machine but he does have a modem/router.  Verizon already laid a cat5 cable to machine one.  He has the modem router that he can just use the router side of by connecting the existing cat 5 to a lan port on the Westell and then connecting both machines to 2 of the remaining 3 ports on the Westell.  Saves himself $20-$30

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@viafax999 wrote:

@eljefe wrote:

Obviously buying a switch is the easiest solution.  However from what I read OP doesn't have a cat 5 cable long enough or the means to get through walls to get from the VZ router to his second machine but he does have a modem/router.  Verizon already laid a cat5 cable to machine one.  He has the modem router that he can just use the router side of by connecting the existing cat 5 to a lan port on the Westell and then connecting both machines to 2 of the remaining 3 ports on the Westell.  Saves himself $20-$30

Agreed.  It boils down to which is more important...simplicity or saving $20-$30. 🙂