Ethernet port and/or coax cable connection for internet access ?
philb00

What is better way  to get the internet access  with Fios installed and the Fios router  (I'm gonna have

triple play bundle (tv, internet, phone) installed next week  :

-   Use  the  ethernet port  and run a cat 5 cable direct from ONT  to the router ?

-  Use   the coax port on ONT   which   runs to 3  TVs and splitter off  coax to  the router for internet wireless access ?

I was going to run/fish  a cat5   e-net cable  up thru attic  before the tech comes to house -  IF 

using the  E-net port   works better/easier/faster all around  vs  coax  for the internet.

Is  it  worth my time and sweat  to do that  really  or just   piggyback on the coax ?

I read some post that the ONT can NOT  have  the ethernet port and Coax port enabled  at same time ?

Is that  correct ?
Seems  pretty  bad or  little value having these built into ONT and not able to use them   together.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Ethernet port and/or coax cable connection for internet access ?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's a matter of preference, but if you're getting TV service as well, I would advise just sticking to Coax only.

There are actually several networks working together when you get FiOS internet and TV service. 

1. The ONT to the STB's provides QAM signals for the TV channels which are decrypted by the STB.   So, for this you need Coax from the ONT to each STB.

2. The Internet service can be provisioned to the router either via Ethernet or MoCA Coax.   They are essentially equivalent in functionality, it's just the media which is used which is different.  Since coax is a broadband capable medium, there can be many different transmissions occurring simultaneously on the same wire without them impacting one another (essentially, MoCA WAN runs on a frequency of 1000Mhz and I believe most QAM runs in the 6Mhz band).

3. The STB's need access to the internet in order to get their guide data, VOD, etc.   This is accomplished using a MoCA LAN connection channel between the STB's and the router.   The MoCA LAN runs on 1150Mhz.

The router bridges together the local ethernet ports on the router, the wireless network, and the MoCA LAN connection to form one logical network and then processes the traffic thru the NAT/PAT Firewall engine to either the MoCA WAN interface or the Ethernet WAN interface depending on how your internet traffic is configured.

In short, if you go with ethernet for the WAN to ONT connection, you'll still need a Coax connection into your router so that the STB's can get to the Internet.  Your only real benefit of using an Ethernet WAN interface connection comes if you are not a TV subscriber and wish to use your own residential router (most residential routers are much simpler to configure than the Verizon supplied router which is necessarily more complex due to the functionality which is supports).  

It's important to note that you can't use your own router with a WAN Ethernet connection in place of the Verizon router if you have TV service if you want everything to work properly (the router assigns specific addresses and quality of service attributes to the STB's so that they function properly and the Verizon central network looks to be able to communicate directly with the Verizon supplied router to make necessary configuration changes for things like Remote DVR service which will fail if you substitute a different router (OK, "can't" is too strong a word -- it is possible, but unless you truly understand how networking and routing works and what is going on under the covers -- you should not be exploring that territory).

prisaz2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ethernet and MOCA coax for IP can not both be active on the ONT. I prefer Ethernet instead of coax for the WAN IP portion, but the router still needs to have coax connected to it. The set top boxes get their internet access through the coax even if the router WAN port is using Ethernet. There have been many discussions regarding this topic.

lasagna gives a much better detailed explaination. I use my own router and the Verizon router. I am an advanced user, and my configuration is not supported by Verizon.

A search reveals this.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?location=Board%3AFiOS_Internet&q=ONT+Ethe...

0 Likes
macura
Enthusiast - Level 1

Recently I have decided  to network my home with a 16 port switch and and hardwired connections in most rooms for future internet tvs, gaming systems and or desk computers. I have Fios run to my house but from there it goes to coax then to the actiontec router and most of my devices are currently wireless.

My concern is that the coax is the weakest link my my system for gaming and internet speeds. is there an option to run CAT5e from the Fios connection Verizon installed?  I want the best connection i can possibly have for gaming. I can have an ethernet port for the STB so it can get the programming and VOD. (and honestly the guide is slow, very slow and changing channels taking about 8 seconds, maybe this is normal?)

I have been searching and cant find real good answers about coax and their internet capabilities and speeds.

Thanks,

Mac

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@macura wrote:

... I have decided  to network my home with a 16 port switch and and hardwired connections in most rooms for future internet tvs, gaming systems and or desk computers ....

I applaud your decision.  I did this in my home when it was first built and have never regretted the decision.  The problem with retrofitting is the difficulty of running cable in awkward spaces.  With a little practice it gets easier and you will soon be able to reach any location in the building.  BTW running a multi-port switch directly off the Actiontec is a good and entirely acceptable solution that does not require Ethernet WAN (except for the highest tiers mentioned below).

@macura wrote:

... I have Fios run to my house but from there it goes to coax then to the actiontec router and most of my devices are currently wireless ... My concern is that the coax is the weakest link my my system for gaming and internet speeds. is there an option to run CAT5e from the Fios connection Verizon installed? ...

I would not term coax the "weakest link" because it's a pretty big pipe.  Your weakest link is most likely your use of wireless LAN for higher speed applications.

However if you plan to upgrade to the highest tiers (this means 150 and 300), then you may need to switch to Ethernet WAN and replace your existing router.  These considerations will be evaluated and determined when you choose your plan.

If like most folks you can "get by" with 75 MB service, coax is entirely sufficient and robust for any application including gaming.  In addition, running a single coax to deliver video and data to remote locations may be simpler (although I love having multiple Ethernet ports in multiple locations).

@macura wrote:

... I want the best connection i can possibly have for gaming. I can have an ethernet port for the STB so it can get the programming and VOD ...

Although this may change, no current or projected STB device runs on Ethernet (excepting Blu-Ray devices, certain TVs, and the like).

@macura wrote:

... I have been searching and cant find real good answers about coax and their internet capabilities and speeds.

If you can't find it here, I'd be surprised:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDEQFjAA&url=http%...

macura
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply. I am confident in running the cabling through the walls as I have some experience in that area. Good to know that the Coaxial is sufficient for my Verizon Quantum 50/25 down/up speeds. I wasn't really sure about the capabilities of Coax, but now it is clear.

And from what I have been reading, Coaxial is required because of STB and their needs and that explains "broadband cable" that can transfer different data at different frequencies (correct me if I'm wrong)

Now I can see that probably my weakest link now is the coax splices I put in to go to the secondary bedrooms.

Thanks again,

Mac

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@macura wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply ... Good to know that the Coaxial is sufficient for my Verizon Quantum 50/25 down/up speeds ... I can see that probably my weakest link now is the coax splices I put in to go to the secondary bedrooms ...

Of course a continuous run of wire is preferred, but if you use quality connectors and unions and a good crimp tool, you will be fine.  Don't use anything lower than RG8 cable while you're at it.  The pros always suggest compression fittings instead of crimp fittings, but the price premium for these seems stiff considering the performance benefit.

Unfortunately tools for jobs like these are expensive, of short term utility, and usually just sit in a drawer somewhere after the job is done.  I have many tools like that (smile).

You can always drop more cash and get a cable tester that works for coax and multistrand wire (RJ45, RJ 11, Cat5e, etc.).  I have one of these.  It has saved me much time when trouble-shooting.  However they are expensive and do require some dedication (which may not be a problem for you).  Good luck with the install.

0 Likes