quick menu

Ethernet port provisioning of ONT for Google Wifi on 75/75

Ethernet port provisioning of ONT for Google Wifi on 75/75

SOLVED
Contributor onmywaytoeat
Contributor
Message 1 of 7
(620 Views)

I just picked up a Google WiFi router and have spent hours trying to figure it out how to make it work with FIOS. I finally landed on the pinned thread: https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632 and followed all the steps, but it doesn't mention having to call Verizon to get the ethernet port provisioned. Is that a required step? I get no connection via Ethernet, and when I called Verizon support, I was told I have to upgrade my 75/75 plan to a minimum of 150gb connectoin ($20/month extra) and pay a $100 installaiton fee for the upgrade. Is all this true?

6 REPLIES
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 2 of 7
(591 Views)

It should not be an issue to have internet over ethernet, however I take it you are not set up for it presently. The reason they may be using is your home ONT may have to be upgraded, they may run the ethernet to your router for you so you don’t need to mess with the router and ont. Just a guess here.

now normally you need only call in and tell them to switch you to ethernet only. The reps normally just do so in seconds. But you are responsible for the initial hook up.

they also don’t install non Verizon branded equipment.

good place to start is https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

Bronze Contributor II Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Message 3 of 7
(565 Views)

@onmywaytoeat wrote:

I just picked up a Google WiFi router and have spent hours trying to figure it out how to make it work with FIOS. I finally landed on the pinned thread: https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632 and followed all the steps, but it doesn't mention having to call Verizon to get the ethernet port provisioned. Is that a required step? I get no connection via Ethernet, and when I called Verizon support, I was told I have to upgrade my 75/75 plan to a minimum of 150gb connectoin ($20/month extra) and pay a $100 installaiton fee for the upgrade. Is all this true?

You don’t need to upgrade to 150 mbps to change to ethernet so if you don’t want to upgrade then do not agree. It sounds like you just got the wrong person. Try to call again and just tell them you don’t want any upgrades you want your data provisioned on ethernet instead of MoCA. 

MVP CRobGauth MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7
(506 Views)

Either call and ask for technical support off hit them up on twitter @verizonsupport

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Contributor onmywaytoeat
Contributor
Message 5 of 7
(490 Views)

Thanks for the confirmation. I was able to get this done by contacting Verizon Direct on dslreports. The first agent's response was that it would not be possible at all because I had the TV service ... But the second agent who picked up the thread completed the switchover and everything is working great. It is frustrating that Verizon doesn't arm all its agents with the right information - this should have been a lot easier. But all is well that ends well.

Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 6 of 7
(473 Views)

That is what I recommend over the other ways. The reps over at DSL Reports are real Verizon help via their social media team. They do a better job there than any where else.

glad it was taken care of.

Silver Contributor III Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III
Message 7 of 7
(444 Views)

Thank you also for the heads up about the article lacking the information about calling Verizon. I'll get this added ASAP.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

My Fios App
Fios TV App
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.

My Verizon

• Add or Change Plan
  • Suspend My Service
  • Apps

Support

Watch Fios