Ethernet shows WiFi but Internet Access Blocked
CherylS47
Enthusiast - Level 2

Got install 4 days ago with rented G3100 router. WiFi works on iPhone, except My Fios won’t connect/open. Settings show computer Ethernet connected to Internet yet Internet Access denied. So far, over 8 hours with online tech support (horrible experience) and 2nd in-home tech who checked everything, rebooted everything, tried another router. 

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

0 Likes
Re: Ethernet shows WiFi but Internet Access Blocked
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You said "WiFi works on IPhone," do you mean that it can access the Internet , for exampling, go to Google the search engine?

"Settings show computer Ethernet connected to Internet yet Internet Access denied." Ethernet connection only indicates that the data link between your computer and the access point is working. It does not indicate that you can reach the Internet.

It seems like a firewall issue either at your computer or the router itself. Since you rebooted the router and perhaps factory reseted it too, it seems your computer is blocking the access. Can you swap the computer and test again?

Another possibility is Verizon's upstream devices are at fault. If you login to the router's Web-based configuration interface, does it show a public IP address and say the "Ethernet Status: Connected?"

CherylS47
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can access the Net on my phone except that the My Fios app will not load. The problem exists on two Windows 10 laptops and one Windows 7 PC. Firewalls were turned off on all computers. On the main laptop, anti virus was deleted. Yesterday a Verizon tech spent 4 hours, including considerable time on the phone with someone with expertise. The ONT, router and computers were rebooted after each try for a solution. 

I found (not sure how I got there - was researching fixes on line) that Ipv4 connectivity was off and turned it on. 

0 Likes
CherylS47
Enthusiast - Level 2

First, thank you for your response to my issue.  Could you tell me how to login to the routers Web based interface?  I will then check and let you know. 

Thank you. 

0 Likes
CherylS47
Enthusiast - Level 2

Looked up how to get to router’s Web interface but I can’t get that to work. 

FYI, for the second time in the few minutes I have been able to observe, all the lights on the router’s connections go off until I unplug the router and plug it back in.  The button on the front of the router remains white when the connection lights go and stay off. 

Yesterday’s in home tech supposedly reported problems to his supervisor. I left her a voicemail but no response yet. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I will render a full response later. Meanwhile, I want to comment on a few things.

What kind of router do you have? A G3100 presumably. G3100 is pre-configured to turn off rear LEDs after a few moments.

An "In-Home Tech?" Is that somebody from Verizon or somebody else? I am just curious.

CherylS47
Enthusiast - Level 2

G3100. Good to know lights are supposed to turn off. 

A few days ago, I spent hours on the phone with a Verizon support person (with an Indian accent).  He determined that it wasn’t the router, cables but, per his assessment, something with 2 of my laptops - we switched out a new Windows 10 HP laptop for an older but still working HP laptop but still could not get Net access. I asked for a Verizon tech to come help; the online guy refused so I got a supervisor to ok a Verizon tech, who came Sunday, Nov. 29th. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

From the information given by you, I temporarily agree with the technician's assessment. I need more information from you, so I and others here can better diagnose the issue.

Can you confirm that your device is pulling an IP address from the G3100? I will outline the procedure for Windows 10. I believe Windows 7 and even XP have the similar procedure. On Windows 10/7, go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Connections > Ethernet / Wi-Fi > Details. Is the IPv4 address something like 192.168.1.x? Or is 169.254.x.x?

If you are comfortable with Command Prompt, Run cmd.exe and type in 

ipconfig

OR

netsh interface ipv4 show config

Look for the correct interface and find its IPv4 address. If you want to screenshot it and post it here, make sure you redact your Physical (MAC) Address, the last octet of your IPv4 address (the number after the right most dot), and other identifiable information.

CherylS47
Enthusiast - Level 2

From Ethernet Details. (Wi-Fi Details page was Blank):

Connection-specific DNS.

myfiosgateway.com

Description

Realtek. PCle Gb E Family Controller

Physical Address

[redacted]

DHCP Enabled.  yes

IPv4 Address.  192.168.1.153