Ethernet switch between ONT and VZ router
Rigo1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Getting ready to have Fios installed in my home and i am looking at the different configurations possible. I want to know if it would be possible to place a ethernet switch between the ONT and the router from verizon? I am looking to have my home wired for ethernet here very soon so i am trying to be proactive and have that part ready for that project.

Also i understand that if i have TV service from fios I would need to maintain the coax cable connected to the VZ router is it possible to do that and have internet from the ont to my personal wifi router coming from the switch? So essectialy what i am wanting to do is connect one or two routers from the ethernet switch. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Ethernet switch between ONT and VZ router
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Rigo wrote:

I want to know if it would be possible to place a ethernet switch between the ONT and the router from verizon?

No.  You can not place a switch between the ONT and your router. 

Rigo wrote:

Also i understand that if i have TV service from fios I would need to maintain the coax cable connected to the VZ router is it possible to do that and have internet from the ont to my personal wifi router coming from the switch?

You can request that the ONT be provisioned for a cat5 WAN connection.  That way, you can connect your router directly to the ONT.  You can place the Actiontec behind your router to provide VOD and guide data for the STBs.   Be aware that you will lose some functionality such as remote DVR and on screen caller-id.

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Rigo wrote:

I want to know if it would be possible to place a ethernet switch between the ONT and the router from verizon?

No.  You can not place a switch between the ONT and your router. 

Rigo wrote:

Also i understand that if i have TV service from fios I would need to maintain the coax cable connected to the VZ router is it possible to do that and have internet from the ont to my personal wifi router coming from the switch?

You can request that the ONT be provisioned for a cat5 WAN connection.  That way, you can connect your router directly to the ONT.  You can place the Actiontec behind your router to provide VOD and guide data for the STBs.   Be aware that you will lose some functionality such as remote DVR and on screen caller-id.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon, years ago, went to a strict one to one internet connection.  There was a time when you could hook up a switch and get upto 4 dhcp ip addresses.  They changed that, and now it's one ip to one device.  You can purchase static IP's (5 or more) and then you could do what you wanted to do, but if you go with a plain jane set up on dhcp, then you will have verizon give you either ethernet to one router, or coax to one router. 

What you do behind the router is a different story, and these are all the working configurations with FiOS that you can have. 

3.0 Networking
0 Likes
Rigo1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for all the information. So I am able to purchase IP's having residential service?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Yes, they will sell them to you.  I think they will consider you a business even though you are in a residential. 

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Rigo wrote:

So I am able to purchase IP's having residential service?

Static IPs are only available with a business account.

@Hubrissinxs  - AFAIK, multiple DHCP addresses were never supported.  I believe you are thinking of PPPoE connections which did allow multiple IP addresses.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

When I was DSL before they started doing the MAC address thing, I would get upto 4 dhcp leases.  all unique.  One day my whole network went down, I called and they told me they began implementing mac address authentication and moving forward I wouldn't get more than one IP.  

it was a sad day, I remember it pretty well.  😞  def wasn't pppoe at the time.  

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In the days of Verizon giving out free for all IP addresses on DSL, all you needed to do was take a switch and hook up machines to it. From that point, just use a PPPoE dialer and you'd get a public IP for each machine. PPPoE land had it. You just dialed up more dialers if you wanted more IPs. They've since enforced one session per line.

0 Likes
Rigo1
Enthusiast - Level 2

So then I take it I would have to place my ethernet switch after the fios router. Will that degrade my connection connecting my switch to that one port from the router? I will have about 12-16 connectiong on the switch after my whole house is wired up. My internet plan i am currently scheduled to get installed is 75/35. Do you guys think that will be more then enough to handle constant streaming, gaming, and file sharing?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

After the first set of broadcasts, the switch will begin remembering and forwarding the traffic without use of the router, so you should be good.  You'll only be capped when you go through the net.

0 Likes