Excellent service from FIOS (and a UPS question)
Hokiedad2
Contributor - Level 1

We had a power outage Friday. At some point, either when the power went out or when it came back on Friday evening, our ONT power supply was fried. So much for the el cheapo "surge protector" they installed. Anyway, once I realized the ONT was dead, I called FIOS. The FIRST thing Saturday morning they were out replacing the power supply and we were back online.

Here's my question. The technician installed one of the new "PowerReserve" power supplies that runs on D batteries. Seems like a UPS might be a better solution. Both protects from surges and provides power to the entire unit.

Any thoughts?

0 Likes
Re: Excellent service from FIOS (and a UPS question)
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The D cell option will strictly act as backup.

Really does nothing to protect power supply from surges.

I am not sure how life of 12 D cells compares to the older lead acid batteries or a UPS.

Hard to compare as Verizon backup batteries would only support phone service.

A UPS (while also providing surge protection) would power the entire ONT.

Lead acid abtteries were lsited as providing up to 8 hours of coverage for phone.

For a UPS, you would need to determine power draw of your ONT.

Most manufactturers can provided estimated run time based on power draw.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Hokiedad wrote:

We had a power outage Friday. At some point, either when the power went out or when it came back on Friday evening, our ONT power supply was fried. So much for the el cheapo "surge protector" they installed. Anyway, once I realized the ONT was dead, I called FIOS. The FIRST thing Saturday morning they were out replacing the power supply and we were back online.

Here's my question. The technician installed one of the new "PowerReserve" power supplies that runs on D batteries. Seems like a UPS might be a better solution. Both protects from surges and provides power to the entire unit.

Any thoughts?

Never heard of a surge protector in the ONT,  Are you sure the breaker on the ONT circuit didn't trip.  And yes a surge protector between the wall connector and the ONT would be an excellent idea, albeit an expensive one that the user would have to provide.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@viafax999 wrote:

@Hokiedad wrote:

Any thoughts?

Never heard of a surge protector in the ONT,  Are you sure the breaker on the ONT circuit didn't trip.  And yes a surge protector between the wall connector and the ONT would be an excellent idea, albeit an expensive one that the user would have to provide.

Its never been clear if the Power supply and battery were also acting as a surge protector, but they might.  Effectively its a mini UPS.

However quite a number of people have done a full UPS solution on the ONT so that there Internet service would continue long enough for them to cleanly finish what they were doing and shutting down.

Some doing business from home went a robust UPS.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is not a surge protector.
That would take special circuitry.

And the power feeds must be sperated somehow because the battery only covers the part of the ONT that drives phone service.

Other parts (TV and Internet) shut down.

You can buy an outlet surge protector for pretty cheap.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note the battery does cover the whole ONT circuitlry for a little bit (about 5 minutes) but the Ont gets a signal that tells it to shutdown the other circuits so that power can be reserved for the phone circuitry.

0 Likes