Experiences coming from comcast
ARTHAY41
Enthusiast - Level 1

Experiences coming from comcast.  Would appreciate comments if anything is incorrect, out of date, or if I've missed something.

1.) Couldn't get to the forums with my Verizon account.  After loging in would get thrown out to a small business Verizon site.  Had to create separate community user account.

2.) Default remote is only 2 device.  Can't program remote for my receiver for volume control.  Comcast default remote was 3 device.

3.) iPad app for comcast has all available subscribed channels for watching live TV.  Fios app has only subset.  Also much more glitchy when watching- more pauses, screen freeze, etc. even with much greater download speed using Fios.  Pressing home button on iPad doesn't minimize Fios app screen to corner either.

4.) DVR box doesn't have concept of selecting between two tuners.  With comcast I could switch to second tuner and surf channels then go back to first tuner.  On Fios a tuner switch is forced when channel changed.  So you can flip between two channels on two tuners using the 'last' button but not surf channels on second tuner and go back to channel on first tuner.  I used to keep a channel on first tuner and surf channels on second tuner.

So it seems the TV experience is inferior but the Internet is superior?  Comcast internet was not reliable in my neighborhood.  Of course no one else in my household watches cable anymore :-).  All Netflix, Amazon, etc.

0 Likes
Re: Experiences coming from comcast
ARTHAY41
Enthusiast - Level 1

Some answers I have discovered-

3.) With Quantum you can watch most of the channels you would see viewing your TV via the set top box.

4.) To approximate the way comcast boxes use two tuners you could set the program you want to lock to a tuner to record.  Then when you surf channels you can always go back to watching the program that is being recorded.

0 Likes
Gun_runner

Hello,

Have been a Fios customer for less than 24 hours, and regret the switch from Comcast.  Here's why:

1) Download speed no faster than what I had with Comcast (90+, and that's only when I use the Fios test site.  Third party sites indicate much slower speeds (in the 40's)(and yes, I am hard-wired for the test).

2) Loss of The Weather Channel

3) Loss of Xfinity hotspots (Fios has none).

4) Have to upgrade my package IOT to get the channels lost with with change.  Result is that upgrade puts me close to what I was paying with Comcast.

Still, I will let this play out for the trial period.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Well you don’t say what speeds you are provisioned for. 100/100 or higher

tests to the proprietary Verizon Test site if fully provisioned properly should should a little over the speeds you are paying for.

and yep sites off Verizon’s Test site will often times show slower speeds because of all the slow downs and other net obstacles.

well as far as the tv portion you should have looked at the channel guide lineup which is available online for viewing.

now hot spots yes that may be a loss but when I had Time Warner for a gazillion years I never could get on one of them. So I use cellular data which is unlimited.

and if you researched the change to Fios you would not have to have it.

verizon does have a thirty day customer satisfaction guarantee. If within that time cancel.

and Fios does have non contract plans on time of sign up. But you have to search for it both online or over the phone.

0 Likes