Extend wireless signal
Cellq7

My mother is getting out of the hospital and I need to figure a way to extend the wireless signal realibly upstair to her room. So, she can watch Roku.  Any suggestions? Extender? Repeater? Booster?

Fios Internet Speeds Up to 50 Mbps/50 Mbps

Router: Westell 6100

0 Likes
Re: Extend wireless signal
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello there!

Easiest way in my Opinion without running ethernet cable would be to use some powerline adapters.

http://amzn.com/B00AWRUICG

What these adapters do is use your house's existing electrical wires to transmit data. Now, these adapters work fantastic if the house wiring is somewhat new, I've seen the adapters work in houses with 100 year old wiring, but the speeds do drop when the house wiring is older / in bad shape.

Then, after you have the powerline adapters, plugged in, plug one ethernet cable from your Verizon router into one of the adapters. From here, you can plug the other adapter into an outlet near the Roku, then run an ethernet cable directly to the Roku. If you really want wireless, you could purchase a wireless access point, but if the connection will just be for a Roku I strongly suggesting using a wired connection, as it will 98% of the time be more reliable. 

Hope this could be helpful Smiley Happy

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

I'd recommend turning off the wifi in the FIOS router and buying a decent router and using it as an access point.

I am using a 3 year old Asus N66U as an access point and it works great in a 2 story 4300 sq ft house.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cellq7 wrote:

My mother is getting out of the hospital and I need to figure a way to extend the wireless signal realibly upstair to her room. So, she can watch Roku.  Any suggestions? Extender? Repeater? Booster?

Fios Internet Speeds Up to 50 Mbps/50 Mbps

Router: Westell 6100

Isn't the Westell 6100 a DSL modem?  Didn't know you could get speeds like that out of dsl

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I was about to say. If it's a Westell 6100 that's DSL. Extending that should be a piece of cake - go get a $30 Netgear Range Extender from a big box store and configure it.

For FiOS, if the router in use is a Westell 9100EM, I would suggest getting an upgrade to something newer from Verizon, and then use the FiOS Range Extender, which connects up to a standard Coaxial port in the house that is active for FiOS service. Wireless N's throughput improvement should help improve the performance even with a weaker signal.