Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

Extender questions adding to a G1100 router with gigabit speed

SOLVED
slivingston49
Contributor
Contributor

Extender questions adding to a G1100 router with gigabit speed

Message 1 of 3
(602 Views)

Can I use an old Actiontec mi424wr router as an extender to add to my G1100 with gigabit speed? 

If so how would I set this up? Would the mi424wr provide speeds the same as the G1100?   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gs0b
MVP MVP
MVP

Re: Extender questions adding to a G1100 router with gigabit speed

Message 3 of 3
(514 Views)

The old Actiontec Rev I units can be setup as a WiFi Access Point.  But, they are single band 802.11n only, so max speed is about 130Mbps, with real speeds being lower.  Not a bad speed if you use it to give WiFi coverage where non existed before, but certainly not the 300-400Mbps you can get out of a G1100.

To run it in AP mode, you need to put it in bridged network mode, disable DHCP and connect one of it's LAN ports to a LAN port on the G1100.  It will pull an IP address from the G1100 once this is done, so be sure to make a note of it so you can login to it in the future.  If things get messed up, a factory reset will get it back to a usable state.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Cang_Household
Gold Contributor III Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Message 2 of 3
(588 Views)

Well, it depends...

When you say "extender," do you mean a wired extender or a wireless extender. Also, do you want it to be ethernet-backhauled or MoCA-backhauled?

To ensure gigabit speed delivery, only ethernet-backhauled wired extender is viable. This configuration essentially reduces the Actiontec router to a 4-port ethernet switch, with a higher power consumption.

Where and why did you get the G1100? Because Verizon has ended MI424WR support?

gs0b
MVP MVP
MVP

Message 3 of 3
(515 Views)

The old Actiontec Rev I units can be setup as a WiFi Access Point.  But, they are single band 802.11n only, so max speed is about 130Mbps, with real speeds being lower.  Not a bad speed if you use it to give WiFi coverage where non existed before, but certainly not the 300-400Mbps you can get out of a G1100.

To run it in AP mode, you need to put it in bridged network mode, disable DHCP and connect one of it's LAN ports to a LAN port on the G1100.  It will pull an IP address from the G1100 once this is done, so be sure to make a note of it so you can login to it in the future.  If things get messed up, a factory reset will get it back to a usable state.

View solution in original post

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.