Extending FIOS coax network from the ONT rather than the router
AKMac007

Hello friends. I have 50/50 data only FIOS on a coax infrastructure in my condo. I am using a Quantum Gateway FIOS router as my primary (on coax of course).  My condo is essentially 4 stories tall due to some creative construction. As you can imagine, this makes network signal a nightmare.  

As such, I would like to extend my network on the lower levels by sind an ethernet router right at the ONT (which is in my garage on level 1). 

I took off the panel for the ONT and observed an unused ethernet cable labeled "Feed 2" and one labeled "Security."  There is also an unused coax labeled "Feed."

My question is this: is it possible for me to extend my network by connecting an ethernet router to "Feed 2" or alternately, connection an Actiontec coax router to "Feed"?

I have included photos of my ONT setup below:

imageONT showing coax "Feed"

imageONT showing ethernet "Feed 2" and "Security"

imageNot sure if this is helpful but looks important

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Extending FIOS coax network from the ONT rather than the router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

STB is set top box for TV service.

Yes, for Internet only, you can use your own router.

And yes, you can swap it out.

But you will need to contact Verizon to have them change Internet to ethernet.

And you will need to run ethernet from ONT to your distribution box.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure I completely understand.

If you have Verizon STBs, it is best to leave the Quantum router as primary (ie one hooked to ONT).
What you can do is hook one of the ethernet connections to the Quantum rotuer.

Then whatever floor the ehternet is on, configure another router as a wireless bridge.

Or you can purchase a Verizon WIFI extender that uses coax connection for connectivity.

0 Likes
AKMac007

Thanks for the response . I don't know what STBs is. I just have an Internet only FIOS plan with Verizon. No TV or phone service.  I am looking to figure out if I can add a router to the unused connections  (coax or ethernet) that are in my ONT box in order to extend signal to my home's lower levels.

After posting, I just realized that the coax outlet the Verizon guy setup my Quantum Gateway on also has an ethernet  outlet. So maybe I can just follow one of the guides for swapping out my coax Quantum router for a nice Asus AC-3100 instead...

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

STB is set top box for TV service.

Yes, for Internet only, you can use your own router.

And yes, you can swap it out.

But you will need to contact Verizon to have them change Internet to ethernet.

And you will need to run ethernet from ONT to your distribution box.

0 Likes