Extending Wireless range in my House
dep2s

My goal: Extend the range of the wireless network in my house.

The problem: I live in a 4-story house, and the Verizon router (Verizon MI424WR Router) is in the basement, and my wireless signal isn't strong in the top 2 levels of my house.  The router needs to stay in the basement, b/c it's serving as a central point for a handful of wired internet (ethernet) connections in the basement.

Important Point: I have network drops on each floor of my house, that all connect to the Verizon router in my basement.

What's the best solution?

My preference is to ensure I have 1 wireless network only, so I wasn't sure if I can use a second router (b/c I think it will create a second wireless network....yuck).  I had hoped to connect some kind of device (router? access point?) into one of my network drops on another floor in my house, and then have that device broadcast the same wireless network as the Verizon router.  Kind of like two cell phone towers broadcasting the same Verizon Wireless cell network.

Any help?

Thank you very much.

0 Likes
Re: Extending Wireless range in my House
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do not see why not, use a wireless access point.

0 Likes
dep2s

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "use a wireless access point."  How does the connection work?  If I connect the Access Point to the Verizon Router via a ethernet (Cat6) cable, can both of those devices project the very same wireless network?

Thank you.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dep2s wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "use a wireless access point."  How does the connection work?  If I connect the Access Point to the Verizon Router via a ethernet (Cat6) cable, can both of those devices project the very same wireless network?

Thank you.

You probably want to google wireless extenders and wireless access points as they both can accomplish what you want to do. 

Wireless extenders extend the wifi range via a device that is wirelessly connected to the router.

Wireless access points extend the wifi range by a hard wired connection from the device to the router.

From your description of your house,wireless access points would appear to be the logical choice but thhere may be cost considerations involved.