Re: Extending wireless connection
nana51
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the Actiontech here ready to be installed but I am confused. The instructions say I need to attach one to both the router and the tv. I am guessing this is not so as you said I only needed the one? My set up is this: coax outlet coming into the house connects to the STB.  that is the only connection right now. I have set the Actiontech up, but not sure where the splitter comes in? I have the ethernet cable going form the Actiontech to the tv. What is the correct set up for the coax cables? And do I still need the wireless adapter that plugs into the side of the tv? thanks!!

nana51
Enthusiast - Level 3

Really weird thing happened. Yesterday I set this up. I just brought the coax cable coming in and attached it to Actiontech's coax Network hookup.  then I used another coax cable to connect cable box to Actiontech's STB hookup. Attached ethernet cable from Actiontech to TV. When I tried it, the power and Ethernet light would light up but Coax light didn't. Went into Internet @TV on tv and it said I wasn't connected. Posted my previous post. Today i noticed the Coax light is lit. So for heck of it, i tried to connect again and SUCCESS! I now can view Netflix, mlbtv.com, email etc on tv. Didn't need splitter afterall so will return. But thank you for your help!!! I never would have known about MOCA!

nana51
Enthusiast - Level 3

New problem. I have this working great. Except...I get no sound from the item I am watching via Net. For example...Netflix. I can bring up Netflix on the tv and pick an instant movie. Movie comes in beautifully. Except...no sound. Or I should say I get the sound of the tv program I was watching. I tried turning off the STB. That just gives me NO sound. I have a Yamaha receiver on the tv. Obviously I need to get the sound of the Internet @TV to come out of the speakers. I am wondering, is this an audio issue where I may need to connect the red/white audio cables between tv & receiver? Or is this due to my not using the splitter? Any ideas? Thanks.....

nana51
Enthusiast - Level 3

NOW I know why I need the splitter. Set up worked except I was unable to get Video on Demand. Kept telling me there was a problem w/the set top box. I used the splitter at wall. Then connected one of 2 splitter ports to cable box and the other to the coax port on Actiontec device. So it works ok now. Just have to figure out how to get sound to come out surround sound instead of just tv speakers.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lrando wrote:

Just have to figure out how to get sound to come out surround sound instead of just tv speakers.

Use an Optical cable between the Set Top Box and the Receiver, as well as the TV to the Receiver. Should do the job nicely.

0 Likes