Extending wireless connection
nana51
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Verizon FIOS router MI424WR. I also have a Samsung flat screen tv w/internet capabilities. I purchased the Samsung wireless LAN Adapter required for the tv to connect. When the tv finds my network and tries to connect, it fails. I called Samsung and they say it's probably due to router being too far from the tv. I have other wireless products that work fine in this same room as the tv, but assume Samsung adapter isn't easily able to connect like these other devices.

I bought a Hawking HSB2 HiGain Signal Booster. If I am reading this correctly, it wants me to remove antenna from Verizon router and replace w/theirs. Although it gives 2 different opposing instructions. One says to remove antenna from access point (router) and the other says to remove antenna from the computer. Then shows a pic of the back of hard drive. But I don't have any antenna on hard drive. Is there something I'm missing here? Also DOES the antenna come off of this router? It doesn't seem capable of being removed. Any ideas on extending this routers reach would be greatfully appreciated! Wireless only way to go as I don't want to have to run wires the length of the house. Thanks!

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Extending wireless connection
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@lrando wrote:

this one may be over my head.

MOCA networking is plug and play with the Actiontec ECB2200.  

They are sold singly or in pairs.  You only need one.

Connect one side of the adapter to an active coax cable.

If you use the existing coax going to your STB/TV, you'll need a 1Ghz 1x2 splitter.

Connect the ethernet side of the adapter to your TV.

Done.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lrando wrote:
Wireless only way to go as I don't want to have to run wires the length of the house.

I beg to differ. There is also..

a) Using existing power lines.

b) Using existing phone lines.

c) If I understand thngs correctly: If you don't have FIOS TV, using existing TV Wires (they call it Moca Networking).

While I differ, but I will see what other users have to say about your post..

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

More likely the Samsung is having difficulty connecting to the old WEP 64-bit mode that is the default for the Verizon router.   Search here on the forum for thread on how to change your network security for your wireless to WPA2, and then try hooking up your Samsung again this time with WPA2 security.   Unless you're living in a superhuge house or one build with extra thick walls or lots of metal (like aluminum studs) the wireless signal should be sufficient to make a connection without issue (albeit, you may not get the best thruput if the signal is too weak).

0 Likes
nana51
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have all 3 services through Verizon FIOS. Tv/Net/Phone.

If there is another way to do this that won't have me running new wires, I'm interested in learning about it!

nana51
Enthusiast - Level 3

My router is secured via WPA-PSK already.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@lrando wrote:

If there is another way to do this that won't have me running new wires, I'm interested in learning about it!

You can get a better connection than wireless by using MOCA Networking.

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax

nana51
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the info. I can usually figure my way around technical things like this, but I fear this one may be over my head.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@lrando wrote:

this one may be over my head.

MOCA networking is plug and play with the Actiontec ECB2200.  

They are sold singly or in pairs.  You only need one.

Connect one side of the adapter to an active coax cable.

If you use the existing coax going to your STB/TV, you'll need a 1Ghz 1x2 splitter.

Connect the ethernet side of the adapter to your TV.

Done.

0 Likes
nana51
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks! I will definately check into this and let you know if it solves my issue!

nana51
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks! I will definitely check into this and let you know if it solves my issue!

0 Likes