External Hard Drive and FIOS Router
cjjjjj
Enthusiast - Level 3

First, aplolgies. I know others have asked similiar questions, but I want to be sure I have got it right. Just got off a live chat, but he wasn't really clear, given my level of ignorance. I want to attach a external hard drive of at least 3 TB to my router, so that my files are accessable on my laptop through wifi.

I understand that my current Verizon router, FIOS Quantum Gateway G1100 Router, cannot be used to to attach a hard drive to.

According to the support person, I can buy a router that can be used for this purpose, and hook it up to the verizon modem (or whatever it's called) with an ethernet cable. I can then attach a hard drive via USB or Ethernet, and set up a wireless network to access the files on my laptop. He foresaw no problems with this. He also did not suggest daisy-chaining them. Does that make sense?

He said Ethernet was enabled in the main box. I live in an apartment, so what we got is what we got. I have read that if the fios comes into the apartment via coax cable, it can creat problems with setting up networks. Although I don't have fios TV, the cable coming into the apartment looks like coax. Is this likely to create problems with my setup?

Finally, I have three 3TB USB-connected external hard drives, so I really dont want to but more drives, but I have read that USB-connected drives don't go well attached to internet routers, and one should use ethernet-connected drives. How bad is it? If I use them will it mess up my ROKU reception, for example? Does anyone have experience with this?

I know it's a long post, but I would really appreciate any suggestions. I am a bit above my pay grade in this!

0 Likes
Re: External Hard Drive and FIOS Router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So as you learned, Verizon supplied routers do not support external usb devices (drives, printers, etc).

So yes, you can buy a cheap router that does support USB devices and connect it up.

Can't say much about the configuration for an apartment as different ones can have different configurations.
A lot depends on the number of units and if each unit ahs their own ONT.

0 Likes
cjjjjj
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for your answer! So can you then return the Verizon router, or do hey both have to be hooked up (daisy chained)? I know it sounds weird, but someone wrote that you had to have both.

Does anyone know if hooking the drive up via USB is a really bad idea?

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You would only need both if you had TV service. Without TV service you should just be able to use your own router.

If you don't mind, could you post a photo of your current router setup? We can determine for you if your internet is coming in via Coaxial based cables or Ethernet.

You can attach a photo to this forum by clicking the "Photos" option above. 

Connecting a hard drive over USB isn't a bad thing to do. Granted, it won't be very fast when transferring files, but it will definately be usable. Just don't be disappointed if transferring some massive ultra HD 4K movie takes a while. 

Edit: Just a tip as well if you are purchasing your own router, it would help if you find one that is "Dual Band", this will allow you to utilize your FiOS service to the fullest of its potential. 

0 Likes
cjjjjj
Enthusiast - Level 3

imageimage

0 Likes
cjjjjj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I posted the pix. It was hard to get a good shot as the wires are so twisted it's almost impossible to move it without taking everything apart. The cable with the green connecting thing is the one that comes out of the wall. It's clearly not Ethernet so I think it's coax. We don't have TV, just phone and Internet. 

Will ll this make a difference in the router hookup? 

0 Likes
cjjjjj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't know if the pictures will be viewable. They are showing up on my iPad, but not on my laptop. I can't sign in to the forum on the laptop as I keep getting the ,'request entity too large' error.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can't tell a whole lot.

What model device is it?

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thank you for the photos! That was extremely helpful. 

That device with the green lights is called your ONT. The big thick cable that looks like a coax cable is actually its power input. 

This device converts the fiber (the little green connector) to ethernet (the white cable). This is not a router.

This is the perfect scenario for using your own router. All you have to do is trace where that white ethernet cable goes to coming from that box, and what it connects too. It should be connecting to a Verizon router that looks like the following:

Once you've located that router, log into it and release the DHCP lease (or alternatively just leave it's ethernet cable unplugged overnight), then simply plug in your own router to that white Ethernet cable, and you'll be good to go. 

0 Likes