Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you switch and bring your phone.

Extremely Slow Download Problem

SOLVED
mrhubbard00
Contributor
Contributor

Extremely Slow Download Problem

Message 1 of 18
(5,129 Views)

Was wondering if anyone else had the following problem or a solution.

Yesterday, out of the blue, my wireless download rate dropped down to around .5 mbps.  The upload rate is slightly better, hovering around 7 mbps.   Got on with technical support and established that when using a wired connection, the download rate goes back up to around 25 mbps.  After trying a few different tests, was told by tech support that all I could do was "just use a wired connection".  This seems unacceptable.   This problem is happening with both my Macbook Pro and my IPad, so I don't think it's my computer.  Would love some help.

Thanks,

-Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hubrisnxs
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Extremely Slow Download Problem

Message 3 of 18
(5,111 Views)

@mrhubbard00 wrote:

Yesterday, out of the blue, my wireless download rate dropped down to around .5 mbps.  The upload rate is slightly better, hovering around 7 mbps.   Got on with technical support and established that when using a wired connection, the download rate goes back up to around 25 mbps.  After trying a few different tests, was told by tech support that all I could do was "just use a wired connection".  This seems unacceptable.   This problem is happening with both my Macbook Pro and my IPad, so I don't think it's my computer.  Would love some help.

Thanks,

-Matt

You can resolve many wireless issues by simply changing the channel in the Verizon FiOS router.

To change the wireless signal open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it.
Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel

Channels 1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try. (you started off on 11 i moved it to 6, and that seemed to clear it up. try 1 if problem comes back)

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply., after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6, test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also visit Actiontec's web page where they provide easy tips on how to improve wireless networking with the MI424WR Verizon FiOS Router.  

NOTE: Your actiontec router gets its internet connection from the COAX cable. That means that you can move the actiontec to any room that has a working TV outlet connected to the FiOS system.  You may need to purchase a 2 way TV splitter (you may have one in the house that you can re-use) to connect it.  The cable coming from the wall would connect to the splitter, one side of the splitter will go to your Cable Box where it is labled FIOS TV IN or RF IN and then the other side of the splitter will connect to the WAN Coax on the router.

Additional Links and Recommendations

1. Optimize Internet Explorer

2. Intermittent Wireless

3. Slow Connection

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
dslr595148
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 2 of 18
(5,117 Views)

What is the brand, model, and hardware version of your router?

For example: Actiontec, MI-424-MI, Rec D

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Hubrisnxs
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 3 of 18
(5,112 Views)

@mrhubbard00 wrote:

Thanks,

-Matt

You can resolve many wireless issues by simply changing the channel in the Verizon FiOS router.

To change the wireless signal open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it.
Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel

Channels 1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try. (you started off on 11 i moved it to 6, and that seemed to clear it up. try 1 if problem comes back)

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply., after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6, test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also visit Actiontec's web page where they provide easy tips on how to improve wireless networking with the MI424WR Verizon FiOS Router.  

NOTE: Your actiontec router gets its internet connection from the COAX cable. That means that you can move the actiontec to any room that has a working TV outlet connected to the FiOS system.  You may need to purchase a 2 way TV splitter (you may have one in the house that you can re-use) to connect it.  The cable coming from the wall would connect to the splitter, one side of the splitter will go to your Cable Box where it is labled FIOS TV IN or RF IN and then the other side of the splitter will connect to the WAN Coax on the router.

Additional Links and Recommendations

1. Optimize Internet Explorer

2. Intermittent Wireless

3. Slow Connection

View solution in original post

mrhubbard00
Contributor
Contributor

Message 4 of 18
(5,098 Views)

The router I have is an MI 424 WR Rev E.  Also, have tried switching the channel to 11 when I was on with tech support and it hasn't affected anything.  Should I try going to a different channel?

Hubrisnxs
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 5 of 18
(5,063 Views)

yes you should go through all three, 1, 6 and 11

one of them should be a lot stronger than the other two,.

mrhubbard00
Contributor
Contributor

Message 6 of 18
(5,034 Views)

Channel 6 worked!  Thanks for the help!

-Matt

Hubrisnxs
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 7 of 18
(4,998 Views)
remember how to do this, because one day 6 might not be good anymore. it shouldn't change every week or every month even, but eventually some dynamic to the wireless environment will change, either by your doing or your neighbors, and you'll want to remember how to change it. glad it helped!
bdriver
Contributor
Contributor

Message 8 of 18
(4,850 Views)

I'm not sure if my problem is what's described here, but I notice lately the green status bar bottom right goes about 99% of the way and freezes.  Takes several seconds before the page I want displays.  #1: is this the problem others are asking about;  and #2: if I change the channel as described will the change affect my TIVO network adaptors?  I have the M1424WR wireless router.  Thanks

Hubrisnxs
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 9 of 18
(4,789 Views)

@bdriver wrote:

I'm not sure if my problem is what's described here, but I notice lately the green status bar bottom right goes about 99% of the way and freezes.  Takes several seconds before the page I want displays.  #1: is this the problem others are asking about;  and #2: if I change the channel as described will the change affect my TIVO network adaptors?  I have the M1424WR wireless router.  Thanks

It might be, it could also be your browser, so It is certainly worth a shot.  I would try some of those steps above, and throw in these for good measure. 

• Try a 2nd Browser like Google Chrome or Firefox (possible browser issue can be identified by testing in a 2nd browser)
  • Test it from a 2nd machine like a laptop, friends or work computer
If you notice it primarily and only on wireless connections then yes, the changing channels will probably fix it.
The TIVO's should not be adversely affected.
liz21
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 10 of 18
(4,730 Views)

i also seem to be having a "slow" problem. i do not have any wireless equipment attached, however my speed is actually slower than before i had the fios. i spoke with someone last week and he stated it's my computer? that doesn't seem right. i have a 3.5 index?  i did all the necessary steps, cleared cookies, disc fragment, etc. could it be i am (for want of a better term?) not set up right? the technician  who installed the fios did not tell me (nor show me) anything.   

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title