Extremely Slow FiOS Internet Speeds
bdh234

I'm on a 20/5 Fios internet plan, and while it has been great for years, it suddenly has slowed to roughly 500 kbps-2 mbps for second on average over the last several days.  I've spend several hours chatting with Verizon support and doing a variety of things, including replacing the router and having a Verizon rep tweak a bunch of router settings and insist that everything was fixed, but nothing has worked.  So I thought I'd see if anyone here might have any suggestions, because I'm not getting anywhere with Verizon and have to spend the first hour or more of each call redoing everything I've already done before.

Here are the basic facts:

* 20/5 Internet connection

* I participate in the FCC broadband data-gathering program, so I have clear information showing that for the last 12 months, I received a consistent 25-26 Mbps connection.  Late Saturday night, it dropped dramatically, and has bounced around in the 500-kbps to 9 mbps range since (mostly in the 1-2 Mbps range).  Verizon's speed tests have shown speeds in this range as well. (Upload speeds are usually 0.1-0.2, if the tests don't time out.)

* I have a laptop connected the router via an ethernet cable, plus other devices connected via wifi and the problem is evident on all devices, with slow speeds and repeated disconnections, so it's not just this laptop and it's not the wifi connection.  

Here's what has been done in response to the Verizon reps:

* Run the "optimizer" tool on my laptop.  Twice.  Doesn't help.

* Rebooted the router several times.

* Replaced the original router with the Actiontec M1424WR Rev. I.  No change.

* Verizon rep got into router settings and did the following: 

{edited for privacy}

Pradeep was convinced the problem was fixed, but we had met the maximum of Verizon speed tests for the day, so we couldn't test it and he wouldn't consider any other speed tests as legit.  Non-Verizon speed tests all show that the speed remains dismal, and using the connection also makes it clear that it's very, very slow.

It seems clear to me that the problem is on the other side of the router somewhere, whether it's in the network or in the home before it connects to the router, but the reps appear focused exclusively on my devices.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem could be or how to get Verizon to at least consider there's a problem elsewhere?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Extremely Slow FiOS Internet Speeds
MattinNJ1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Posted this on another thread and I suspect it is the same issue: My solution was to navigate to device manager, right click the NIC, and 'uninstall device' (device not driver). Wait 30 seconds or so, and then click the 'search for new hardware' button. Let Windows install the NIC and don't change any default settings. Re-try the FiOS speedtest. Hope this works for you too.
0 Likes
MattinNJ1
Enthusiast - Level 3
NIC is the network interface card. Do the 'uninstall' for both the wired ethernet and the wi-fi card.
0 Likes
Eugene1013

During the last month the internet speed in the evening has slowed to a crawl, even on Verizons own speed tester I was only able to get about 7MB . That tester does work entirely WITHIN their system so it shows faster than the real world.

In the real internet world, using Speakeasy I could not even get 1Mb. So forget Netflix etc.

I am supposed to get 15/15, usually, during the day, I get 25/15 on just about any speed tester.

I think that Verizon has not upgraded their system to met increased demand.

What is the point of having 25Mb down speed only during the daytime???

There seem to be thousands of posts over the last few years complaining about slow speed. What is done about that?

BTW I did spend an hour with an FIOS technician last night, according to him all is well!!

And I was trying to watch Netflix in 4K  UHD.. HAHAHAHA

Eugene

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Networking] 1st Proof of Verizon / Netflix Direct Peering????    What state are you in Eugene,   They might not have updated direct peering yet for Netflix.  that is in the works, and supposed to be completed for all by the end of the year from what we are hearing.

0 Likes
bdh234

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried it and it didn't fix the problem.  

Plus, every device is running at a glacial pace, not just the laptop.  My son can't stay on his xbox for more than 5 minutes without it disconnecting from Xbox live, etc.  It's brual, and incredibly annoying that I can't get any more help until tomorrow because the Verizon speed test can only be used 30 times a day, which we've reached, and they won't consider any other evidence that the connection sucks.

0 Likes
bdh234

In my case, there doesn't seem to be any correlation to the time of day.  During the middle of the day, I'm just as likely to get 500 kpbs as in the evening.  There's clearly some kind of overall problem with my connection, and if I can't get anyone to do something about it soon, I'll have to start looking into switching to Comcast.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi bdh234,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
MattinNJ1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Have you tried reseting your ONT (disconnecting the power and the backup battery for a couple of minutes) and then factory reseting your router (paper clip in small reset hole in back of router for 30 seconds or so)?
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

I have seen a speed problem when an old power supply was used for a newer ONT. After the power supply was changed everything was ok.

0 Likes