Extremely slow connection
teams9r
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been experiencing very slow speeds while gaming over the past couple days. I have tried everything that has been asked of me by various trouble shooting options. I do not have a full hard drive, I do not have a virus or spyware, my system is optimized for fios, I have never had this problem in months of service. It is occuring on every PC in my house on games and we are not at capacity, as only one is running at a time when this is occuring. 

Please help me fix this! I enjoy gaming on the weekends, that is the reason I pay for this service... If there is an issue that is effecting more people than me, I would atleast like to be informed. Thank you

0 Likes
Re: Extremely slow connection
jaydisco

I am in Southeastern MA and have had my 3mbps DSL running at .15-.25 mbps pretty consistantly over the last few days. I have had 3 phone calls with India to try to rectify it, and they assure me there is no problem with my service. I have resst the modem 100 times, disconnected and reconnected all lines to and from the modem, and installed a new modem they sent me....nothing has fixed the problem. I will re-post my resolution if I find one, but I am confident it is a service issue outside my house.

I have a wired connection on my main computer....quad-core with 4GB RAM running windows 7 professional (does not require optimization per the optimization tool). I am using www.verizon.net/speedtest to get my results.  

0 Likes
teams9r
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah same here. I am positive that it is not anything in my house. Hope they fix us soon!

0 Likes
jarbo456

I've been having this for the past 2+ weeks...it was specific times of day (namely starting at about 7/8pm and lasting to 12am or later), basically when everyone got home from work (7-8pm).

It's been getting steadily worse over the past 2-3 days with recorded speeds at .01Mbps DL in the past two days starting around 5-6pm (that I know of).

I've been told by a level 3 tech supervisor that this is very rare and isolated, and that it's probably just the "luck of the draw" that it's happening to my line.

I'm in a Fios wired apt building in Manhattan, and they want to "eliminate the possibility that it's my hardware". Mind you, a technician has come to my apt twice already, and I've had a replacement router, ONT, and complete wires done already. Also note that I am online all day, I run my business out of my house. I get perfect speeds all throughout the day, but then some switch is thrown around 7pm and it's dismal for the rest of the evening.

I think VZ is not being frank in knowing that their systems are seeing increased degredation and speed compromises. It could be the issue that cable and DSL providers have exprienced for years now - namely bandwidth/throughput, "noise" issues, or it could be something else.

I'm sick of hearing from VZ representatives that this is very surprising, very rare, or simply "unlucky".

Via online forums it's becoming evident that this is a larger issue than VZ cares to admit, and being put through India-support 4x's (if I have one more canned response in the line of "are you hardwired or connected via wifi?" and "have you deleted your temporary internet files" - I'm going to seriously go nuts) isn't helping. This needs to be kicked up to some smart techs at the network and hub level to figure out where they are seeing overload in their optical lines. 

I've heard a few potential options of "gateway changes", "shelving", changes in OLT, etc. etc. - but have yet to hear a good solution from the people we're paying a lot of money to a month for DECENT service. (I pay for 15/5Mbps dl/ul - I'd be happy with 8-10Mbps dl on an average basis, but getting 15 at 10am, and .01 at 8pm doesn't cut it.)

For my initial forum post, look for: !!!!!!!DRASTIC DECREASE IN FIOS INTERNET SPEEDS EVERY NIGHT!!!!!!!

I would be interested to hear more stories, and actually hear if anyone's issues have be resolved effectively.

PS As I am writing this I am getting relatively ok latency with a ping of 20-30 (this will increase dramatically at times, I've gotten pings of over 200ms), but a pitiful DL speed of 1.0Mbps.

0 Likes
AnnieS1
Contributor - Level 3

Hi jarbo456,

It appears that your issue is being handled through our private support portal. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue on your private support case as the support agents will not see the public boards.

The support agent working on your case is awaiting additional info. Please provide this as requested in the private support area.

AnnieS

0 Likes
kokoshein

I'm having the same problem as jaydisco. I live on the Upper East Side, Manhattan. Speeds are great[>10mbps] in the morning but starting from 7 or 8p.m it drops to .4mbps. I can't do anything with that speed when I come home at night. It is so frustrating. Can any official personnel on this board help me? I do not want to call customer service because I had nothing but negative experiences from them.

0 Likes
threewolves
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah in the Pittsburgh area, and starting from Friday night, Saturday morning, I am down to 1 to 2mb download, as of this morning still same.

Have unplugged everything, from boxes and wall, have talked to Support, they have reset router and such, I even replaced internet cable from router to pc, just in case, and nothing is working.

Would be nice if they would admit there is an issue, I can deal with that, thats just wait till they fix the issue. But right now, my pc, xbox and ps3 are all running slow, so its not the pc. Could be the router, but doubting that.

0 Likes
wmupchurch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Having the same problem in Richmond, VA for the last few days.  1-3 Mbps.  Paying for 75/35.  Irks me that I can call customer service and get the whole restart the router, direct connect the PC... blah blah blah.. same routine.  I've done all that to no avail.  Can't be the storm as this started over the weekend.

Perhaps I'm being throttled.  Seems unlikely though I do stream netflix for movies and MOG for music. 

I'll give it a few more days, but if I can't get the speeds promised, then it might be time to look elsewhere.  I'm not expecting 75/35 fully sustained, but until this week, I've always been able to pull 35-45 Mbps with only a few slow downs from 6-9 at night.  Perhaps their system is over subscribed? 

If anyone has an update/solution, would love to hear it.

0 Likes
jarbo456

I may be reading into it too much, but I feel like VZ doesn't like when you reply to other peoples' problems that are similar to yours. Yes VZ I know that you've escalated my post, and thank you - but I think I can still reply to other people who are having similar problems - sharing is caring.

I'm also in the UES of Manhattan, and yes, I know that we just experienced Sandy 'cane, but the problems I'm having don't stem from that (it's been on going for several weeks now).

Simple description:

Have experienced super slow speeds (sub 1MBps) starting around 7-8pm (when everyone in my building gets home from work?). Absolutely fine/perfect speeds all morning/afternoon.

I've experienced similar sub 1Mbps speeds for the past 4 days all day long (everyone's home from work?).

New router (yes I'm hardwired to it, and yes I've deleted my temp. internet files)

New ONT

New connections throughout

As per the technician that came yesterday, I'm having my connection now monitored from the central office.

They should create some sort of fix there. What is that fix? That's yet to be determined.

I've requested a level 3 escalation of my case.

OLT problem?

Shelving problem?

Gateway problem?

Who knows.

0 Likes
kokoshein

Jarbo can you keep us updated if you get a solution? I'm in the same position as you. The only difference is that this night down time has been going on for about 2 weeks. 

I know it's not the equipment or the wire because I get my terrific speeds during the day time.

0 Likes