Switch Account

Extremely slow download speeds

Extremely slow download speeds

Highlighted
Contributor mkgarcia
Contributor
Message 1 of 7
(7,863 Views)

I have the 20/5 plan. I have optimized, rebooted cpu, rebooted router etc multiple times. Ever since they upgraded my speeds I have had the issue. I have called verizon 2 times with no luck. they sent out 2 different tech guys and they had faster speeds on their laptops. they replaced the router with no luck. I was fine until the upgradesto 20/5. The only way to get the speeds I pay for is if I bypass the router and plug straight to the jack. I have to connect to verizon and I am back at the speeds I had before. Only problem with that is I my fios set top boxes won't be able to get updated since they are connected to the router.

6 REPLIES 6
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 2 of 7
(7,815 Views)

What is the brand and model of this router?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Contributor mkgarcia
Contributor
Message 3 of 7
(7,791 Views)

mi424wr actiontec router wireless.

Thanks You!

Platinum Contributor III
Message 4 of 7
(7,719 Views)

#1 What is the exactl ver of it? Some examples.. A, B, C, D, E.

#2 Is Wireless in the router turned on?

#3 If wireless in the router is turned on, what level of wireless security is it set to? Two examples, that I can think of WEP and WPA.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Contributor mkgarcia
Contributor
Message 5 of 7
(7,710 Views)

Rev. D is the version.

Wireless is on.

wep key

I am hard wired straight to the router. not wireless.

Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 6 of 7
(7,668 Views)

@mkgarcia wrote:

I have the 20/5 plan. I have optimized, rebooted cpu, rebooted router etc multiple times. Ever since they upgraded my speeds I have had the issue. I have called verizon 2 times with no luck. they sent out 2 different tech guys and they had faster speeds on their laptops. they replaced the router with no luck. I was fine until the upgradesto 20/5. The only way to get the speeds I pay for is if I bypass the router and plug straight to the jack. I have to connect to verizon and I am back at the speeds I had before. Only problem with that is I my fios set top boxes won't be able to get updated since they are connected to the router.

What download speed are you getting?

From your description it appears that your actiontec is ethernet connected to the ont. 

You said

The only way to get the speeds I pay for is if I bypass the router and plug straight to the jack. 

Which jack are you talking about? the one on the ont  or one that is on an ethernet cable connected to the ont?

If your speed is OK when connected directly to the ont jack I would supect that the ethernet cable between the ont and the router may have an issue.

Platinum Contributor III
Message 7 of 7
(7,650 Views)

@mkgarcia wrote:

Rev. D is the version.

Oh, ok.

#1 Those routers have a small/tiny NAT Table.

#2 Source / and what you could do about it..

a) http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16233

b) AND OR http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.