FIOS 150/150 but only showing 95/95 on Verizon Speed Test
Andygiddings
Enthusiast - Level 2

Some context - have been on the 150 plan for about 6 months since dumping TV and Phone Service. I originally had the Quantum gateway router but was dissatisfied with the wireless coverage.

Purchased a Netgear R7000 about 5 months ago and used it as an Access Point with the Quantum Gateway as the Router. Getting 150 up and down no problem.

Switched out the Quantum router and used the Netgear R7000 as my only router and access point about 4 months ago. Was still getting 150 up and down. Returned the Quantum gateway to Verizon.

At the beginning of this week, started upgrading some of the family PCs to Windows 10. After upgrade, realised that the Internet was slow. Measured using Verizon Speed Test, all of the PCs were showing 95/95 consistently. Tried it with my Macbook pro and was the same so not a Windows 10 issue. Rebooted router, no difference. Reset router to factory settings - no difference. Updated router firmware - no difference.

Got in touch with Verizon support - they tested the connection, reset it and confirmed that I am still provisioned for 150/150..

Ordered a new Quantum Gateway to check that there is not a router issue (dubious on this) and will try it when it arrives.

Has anyone had a similar experience or can anyone offer advice on troubleshooting this?

0 Likes
Re: FIOS 150/150 but only showing 95/95 on Verizon Speed Test
eljefe2
Master - Level 1
This is just a shot in the dark but when you were running the speed test(s) on your Mac, did you have any Windows 10 machines shut down? If not, and if you haven't disabled Windows 10's default bandwidth sharing setting, you might be experiencing bandwidth usage as explained in this article: http://www.computerworld.com/article/2955288/microsoft-windows/windows-10-commandeers-users-upload-b...
0 Likes
Andygiddings
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the suggestion, Eljefe. Tried this earlier and does not change the bandwidth 😞

0 Likes
Andygiddings
Enthusiast - Level 2

Looks like the problem cleared itself late today. Don't know whether it was a Verizon config issue or what but literally just started working at full speed. Strange

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To me it almost sounds like something, probably the connection between your ONT and router, negotiated a 100Mbps Fast Ethernet link. 95Mbps/95Mbps is what 100Mbps Ethernet will max at.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am not sure of how this is going to solved, but I also saw your thread at

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30211151-FIOS-150-150-but-am-only-getting-95-95

0 Likes