FIOS 150/150
SunnyD119

Alright so just about 3 days ago I upgraded my FIOS internet from 75/75 to 150/150. But after a couple of speedtests, restarts (router and ONT) and scouring the internet for questions it seems that my ONT is only outputting 100mbps. The 10/100/100 link light on my ONT (ONT1000GJ4) is a solid green, meaning the ont is only outputting 100mbps, instead of 1000mbps.

I'm also hooked up through ethernet (not coax). I have an ethernet (Cat5e) going from my ont in the basement to my own router (Linksys wrt1900ac). All the speedtest record 94mbps down and about 65 mbps up. Is there any solution for this other than calling verizon and running through troubleshooting for an hour.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS 150/150
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is QoS enabled on the Linksys?

I would try using another patch cable. It's possible the one you have connected between the ONT and the router is not doing a good job. I would also check to make sure the Linksys's WAN port is set to Auto Negotiate, as that is required for a Gigabit link. Failing that, Verizon probably needs to reprovision the ONT again. It's easy to not provision the ONTs right.

This is all assuming that your computer has a proper Gigabit NIC (not a USB one) and you don't have anything like Antivirus, VPN/Proxy, or a slow CPU bogging everything down.

View solution in original post

Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

The ONT is capable of 150/150. Either you are not provisioned on the ONT correctly or your router is not a revision I or your computer does not have a gig ethernet port. The router and computer you can check yourself. If everything is ok on your end then you need to call Verizon tech support to check the ONT provisioning.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

That is correct, the ONT Link light is a function of what both ends of that cable are negotiating at.

So the ONT and the next connected device.

If it's not a red band dual antenna router, or as noted, the rev I then you will need a new router. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is QoS enabled on the Linksys?

I would try using another patch cable. It's possible the one you have connected between the ONT and the router is not doing a good job. I would also check to make sure the Linksys's WAN port is set to Auto Negotiate, as that is required for a Gigabit link. Failing that, Verizon probably needs to reprovision the ONT again. It's easy to not provision the ONTs right.

This is all assuming that your computer has a proper Gigabit NIC (not a USB one) and you don't have anything like Antivirus, VPN/Proxy, or a slow CPU bogging everything down.

SunnyD119

Actually managed to figure out the problem. It seems that the Cat5e cable going from my ONT to the router was faulty and was only capable of outputting upto 100mbps, I tried out a different cable and managed to get my speeds (150mbps). I have a verizon guy coming out to replace the cable.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear the problem was found. I'm sure a re-termination of the cable is all that is needed. 

0 Likes
Mega-Device
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem as you.  However, when I changed the Cat 5e cable nothing really changed.  I would imagine it might be my laptop computer.  It's a Dell Inspiron 5520 which probably doesn't have a 1000 Gigabit card inside.  If anyone has any information that can help me resolve this issue please let me know.

Thank you

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Mega-Device wrote:

I have the same problem as you.  However, when I changed the Cat 5e cable nothing really changed.  I would imagine it might be my laptop computer.  It's a Dell Inspiron 5520 which probably doesn't have a 1000 Gigabit card inside.  If anyone has any information that can help me resolve this issue please let me know.

Thank you

Please check the Windows Device Manager to see what your computer has installed for a wired network adapter. According to Dell, I see that model laptop ships with either of the following chipsets:

Realtek RTL8105E - This is a 100Mbps Ethernet adapter. 100Mbps Ethernet is otherwise known as "Fast Ethernet"

Realtek RTL8111E - This is a 1Gbps Ethernet Adapter.

0 Likes