FIOS 150/65 Wireless Expected Speeds??
coronasrgood
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi All,

I am just curious to know what wireless speeds should I expect to get with the 150/65 plan. The router is about 7 feet away from the laptop. I have the router set to wireless N "Performance Mode" and I get about 80 down and 35-40 up on a regular basis. Is this normal or is there something I need to adjust to get better speeds. My wired speeds are fine 150 down and 65 up pretty consistently. 

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS 150/65 Wireless Expected Speeds??
tns
Master - Level 2

YOu should get something near those to ranges FOR WIRED.  but various people have reported both higher and lower numbers.  And of course it depend when and which test you use.

Just now my results for verizon's speedtest http://speedtest.verizon.com/fios300/#

153.94/74.29

And with speedtest.net

However wireless is another thing.   I use a netgear router for my wireless.  And my devices vary all over the place.  My laptop is able to get about145/34.  But the rest do much worse.  Wireless g  device still peak about 25/20.  Wireless n (2.4) do about 65/25.  My TV (wireless n) get about 30/12.. 

Bad news is the verizon supplied router only uses 2.4. and not 5 and currently maxes out at a theoretic 130.  My netgear theoretic using all radio bands is 900. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

80Mbps down and 40Mbps up sounds about right for the radio that is in the Rev. I and G ActionTecs. They aren't high end so if you're pulling that you're doing pretty good. Most people find Wireless N routers, without upgraded antennas or more solid chipsets pull roughly 40Mbps in a single direction at any given time in a typical home environment. Higher end radios on both ends (Router/AP and device) can pull 80-90Mbps with a bit of difficulty in some locations but it's hard. Enterprise grade gear made to run at 450Mbps paired with the right radio in the laptop will max 150Mbps/65Mbps without an issue however on 5Ghz, but that will quickly degrade as the signal weakens. The same goes with 2.4Ghz in a clear environment.

0 Likes
coronasrgood
Enthusiast - Level 2

I hooked up my Linksys EA4500 to handle the wireless portion of the connection and I am now getting 150 down and 65 up on a steady basis. The Actiontec wireless is horrible.

coronasrgood
Enthusiast - Level 2

Amazing, another speedtest. 152 down and 73 up on wireless.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

That has been agreed upon. Wireless radios on the ActionTecs are often not the best tools in the box. They get the job done and that's about it. Glad to hear the Linksys is working well for you!

0 Likes
allinacall

question- did you hook the lynk sys router throught the verizon router or bypass the verizon router all together? my is a modem router i should say 

0 Likes