FIOS 20/5 Speed tests..Diference hardwired to wireless
deerwood558
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a computer that is hardwired to FIOS service and a laptop that is wireless.  When I go to speedtest.net my desktop that is hardwired rarely downloads at speeds over 14mb down.  When I run a speedtest on my wireless it is ove 19mb down most of the time.  Upload speeds on bothr are over 4.5.

Why the difference and is there a way to improve download speed on my desktop that is hardwired?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: FIOS 20/5 Speed tests..Diference hardwired to wireless
Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

Just a wild guess, but you might try a different Ethernet cable (cat 5e or better).

If that fails, maybe a reinstall of your motherboard's networking drivers?

Then there's always the possibility that Windows itself got corrupted on that system somehow....  Then we're talking about a repair install on that particular machine. 

Me?  I have never been successful at a repair install since I "upgraded" to SP3.  The install proceeds all the way to the black splash screen where it says "Please wait..." and then hangs up.  So, if you're like me you need to do a clean install.  If this is the case, I would recommend getting you a good backup suite and once you have it all installed all over again do a backup of everything and save it somewhere, so if things ever get corrupted again you can restore a clean, working version of your former setup without all the hassle of reinstalling all your programs....

0 Likes
Re: FIOS 20/5 Speed tests..Diference hardwired to wireless
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

To isolate whether it's a problem with your hardwired connection or with the pc itself, try unplugging the cable from your desktop and plug it into your laptop. Test the speed you get from the hardwired connection on your laptop.

0 Likes