Re: FIOS 25/25 UPLOAD Speed Problem - FIX
jizaref1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have having the same 25/25 upload 7-8 problem, but only on wireless. Wired connection is fine. Is that the same problem you were having?

If so, can you again describe exactly what you did on the ONT outside I wasn't totally clear. Can you post photos so that I can copy, step by step.

Thanks

Jeff

0 Likes
jlhouk1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have never received the advertised upload speed of 25mb. I just tried the bit of unplugging the unit and then unplugging the battery. My downloads are usually around 25 MB but my best upload has been 9mb. I am very disappointed since I am paying for 25 mb up and 25 mb download. I am going to try and leave it unplugged for 15 minutes and see what happens.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

First, you need to be doing these test on a hard wired connection in order to eliminate any local wireless issues.   Wireless is a fussy thing and it doesn't surprise me when people don't get full through put on a wireless connection (this is not a FiOS issue, but is a local network issue).   So, with the connection on a hard wire -- you have a full 100mb channel to work with in the local network.

Next, you need to shut down any other activity on your network and on your PC.   Anything else which is talking takes away from the bandwidth available to the speed test.

Next, you need to run the speed optimizer from Verizon and/or DSLreports.  These tweak the various network parameters inside the PC to make them work better in broadband environments.  After doing the tweaks, you need to reboot the PC to insure that the parameters are all put into place.   The results here can be dramatic.   I test with both sets of tweaks and use the set which gives me the best results during my testing since the tools do occasionally come up with differing recommendations.

Next, you need to disable any anti-virus / malware / scanning / acceleration / caching software during the test (and only the test).  These packages can impact substantially on the test results.

Lastly, perform your test against several different speedtest sites (and servers).  This is very important since some servers seem to be short on upload capacity or artificially limiting it.   For instance, my favorite test site is speedtest.net, however the default server which gets assigned to me out of Frederick, MD routinely will not report above 10mb upload speed.   However, when I choose a server out of Philadelphia -- I see my full connection or close to it (actually I've seen 45 down and 33 up typically on my 35/35 connection using that server).  Verizon's test site is also good since it's all on their backbone.    

jlhouk1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I just ran the speed optimizer from Verizon, shut down everything else in my house on the network. I have a 1000 mb network card plugged directly into the Verizon router. I unplugged the unit in my basement, disconnected the battery backup unit. I let it off for 15 minutes. I reconnected the battery, then plugged the main unit back in and then came back up here and re-ran the Verizon FOIS speed test from their own site. I ran the test 4 times and the following are my results I rounded to the closest mb speed.

Download                          Upload

30                                         13

30                                         8

30                                         12

30                                         8

Granted the download speed emproved from 25 down to 30 but the upload speed of 25mb never even comes close. I am frustrated with this not working. I have contacted Verizon support and they walked me through all of the speed Optimizer settings. Oh well it just is not as advertised:(

Cheers.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try testing against speedtest.net and see what your results are.    For instance, here  result I ran earlier this morning ...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/914639440.png

My numbers vary throughout the day -- so you should check a couple times throughout the day to see how your numbers vary.  The reality is that it is the internet, so while you may be provisioned for a specific bandwidth -- there are many factors which have nothing to do with that provisioned speed which impacts your overall throughput.

On the Verizon test, what does the advance information have to say?

For instance, here are my stats:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [522720]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 34.08Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 42.67Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows XP, Architecture = x86, Version = 5.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_20

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 1045440 bytes.
45 Mbps T3/DS3 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 159.93 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and
No packet loss was observed.
This connection is sender limited 98.68% of the time.
This connection is network limited 1.32% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Packet size is preserved End-to-End
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address

jlhouk1
Enthusiast - Level 2

hello,

here are my test results after going to the Verizon help link and running their optimization program which came back telling me my machine is optimized and that I have to power off an back on my computer. I did this then went out to speedtest.net and got the following results: http://www.speedtest.net/result/914705335.png. How do I get to the advanced setting you were talking about via the Verizon help pages so I can get the test results you showed me?

Thanks,

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

speedtest.verizon.net and after the results come up there's an "advanced" tab.   My numbers against the server you tested at speedtest.net were 47/19 for reference.   Would also be nice to see the output of a "netstat -e" command run in a command window.

0 Likes
jlhouk1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I just ran the spped test again and got very good results. Not sure what was different but the time of day.

The netstat -e results:

RX                                       TX

Bytes                            110656132                         28327177

unicast packets                    34427                            210396

non-unicast packets           16829                                    146

discards                                         0                                        0

errors                                              0                                        0

Speed test results:

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [261360]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 25.97Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 30.73Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows XP, Architecture = x86, Version = 5.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_20

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 1045440 bytes.
1 Gbps GigabitEthernet link found.
Link set to Half Duplex mode
Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 102.51 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
There were 11 packets retransmitted, 954 duplicate acks received, and 959 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is sender limited 94.55% of the time.
This connection is network limited 5.45% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End

Thanks,

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK ... some interesting results observed in your stats ...  (beyond obviously that you are indeed provisioned properly since at times you are getting the service levels -- keep in mind that throughout a given day this will vary widely since while Verizon can give you 25/25 on your connection, beyond that first hop it's all Internet subject to congestion, etc.)

I find it interesting that your stats are reporting a Gigabit connection ... since the router (at least the ones which are being deployed by Verizon enmass) is 100 megabit at most.   Do you have a switch or something maybe in the middle?

Your Gigabit connection is reporting half-duplex.  While this is not necessarily a problem, what we really want to see connected to the Verizon router directly would typically be 100mb full=duplex.

Lastly, something is modifying the packet parameters -- note the middlebox comment and changing of the MSS size.

There are no errors from the PC's perspective, so that looks good ... but this other stuff is definitely intriquing.

jlhouk1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your help. I do not have a switch between my computer and the Verizon provided router. I am going to look into making the change required to go full duplex on that connection. I have the card in the computer set to auto negoiate and am not sure if that is why it reports as 1 Gb. As for setting the buffer sizes I am not sure what I am doing there and don't want to mess anything up:(.

Thank again for your help.

0 Likes