Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

FIOS 50/50 downloads as slow as dial-up

sharbeth
Contributor
Contributor

FIOS 50/50 downloads as slow as dial-up

Message 1 of 4
(3,870 Views)

This is probably a waste of my time because it appears that there are no tech support people here addressing customer's problems. I finally got done downloading Microsoft 365 on my computer. It took about 20 minutes, It should have taken about 10 seconds, if I truly had FIOS 50/50. I even got a message from the program saying, "sorry, you seem to have a slow connection, so this may take a while."

3 REPLIES 3
eljefe
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Re: FIOS 50/50 downloads as slow as dial-up

Message 2 of 4
(3,859 Views)

Hi there....

You may indeed be having a FiOS related speed problem   Some users posting here on the forum obviously are.  But let me just mention that I also tried to download a file from Microsoft this afternoon.  The file was 3+ GB and was going so slowly it was going to take several hours.  I use DU Meter to measure my real time speeds and that download was never exceeding 300 kB/s, mostly much less than that.

I gave up, cancelled the download from MS, and then went to download a large file from Corel.  That maxed out my 75 mb/s download speed and only took a few minutes to complete.

So yes, you may have a problem with your FiOS service but it may have also been something going on with Microsoft's servers.  But if you're convinced it's FiOS and you have an alternative....hey....competition is a good thing.

Predator
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 3 of 4
(3,785 Views)

@sharbeth wrote:

This is probably a waste of my time because it appears that there are no tech support people here addressing customer's problems. I finally got done downloading Microsoft 365 on my computer. It took about 20 minutes, It should have taken about 10 seconds, if I truly had FIOS 50/50. I even got a message from the program saying, "sorry, you seem to have a slow connection, so this may take a while."

You can use Aluminum foil to wrap around ONT to minimize any electric or Radio or Wireless interference from internal or external source also this may fix your speed problem..............

1.Router: Quantum G1100 (Primary)2.Router :Nighthawk AC1900
3.Speed:75/75 Mbps
4.FIOS TV Ultimate HD
5.FiOS Digital Voice Unlimited
Hubrisnxs
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 4 of 4
(3,780 Views)

@sharbeth wrote:

This particular problem can be quite a few things, and even could be a problem at Microsofts end.

When apple recently released their IOS 8 update, they had a number of faulty servers, and changing DNS corrected the problem for nearly everyone.  So there's quite a few things that can do it.

If the problem that you're having is only at one site, then that's likely just a fluke problem with the site,  if it's a problem with nearly all downloads, then you may want to dig deeper, and do some tests

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title