FIOS 50/50
topcapt
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have run a number of speed tests from different sources and all have returned performance around 20/20. My account indicates I have and am paying for 50/50. It appears I am getting throughput at less than half the rate I should expect. Is it likely there is something wrong with my network connection and/or the VZ internals as to how my service is configured? Or could it be that speed tests themselves are somehow unreliable, even though they are all very consistent @ 20/20?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS 50/50
topcapt
Enthusiast - Level 3

As it turns out, a "visiting laptop" was introduced to my environment and unwired speed tests on that  were much better and consistantly in the 35/35 range - a 75% "improvement". Our conclusion is that a chokepoint exists in the NIC card of my desktop. I don't know yet if I will pursue an upgrade, but I at least am fairly certain VZ is not delinquent. And be assured if I ever feel a need to discuss internet speeds directly with VZ, I will heed your advice and use an Ethernet connection to develop feedback more useful to them.

As for speed "tests" in general, those sites seem very intent on marketing some panoply of services and it occurs to me a poor "test" result might serve that purpose more than would the legitimate outcome. And even though I worked there 30 years, I unfortunately no longer feel confident I can exclude VZ from such a conflict of interest. My sense is that VZ used to be a network company that did some marketing ... and which now - by necessity perhaps - has morphed into a marketing company that does some networking. Well - LOL - I never did trust those marketing types ....

Thanks for your interest in my dilemma.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Are you running those speed tests via a wired (Ethernet) connection or via WiFi? The only reliable way to see if you're getting the speeds you're paying for is with a wired connection. 

If you are using a wired connection, have you checked your speeds via the Verizon speed test?

http://my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/

topcapt
Enthusiast - Level 3

As it turns out, a "visiting laptop" was introduced to my environment and unwired speed tests on that  were much better and consistantly in the 35/35 range - a 75% "improvement". Our conclusion is that a chokepoint exists in the NIC card of my desktop. I don't know yet if I will pursue an upgrade, but I at least am fairly certain VZ is not delinquent. And be assured if I ever feel a need to discuss internet speeds directly with VZ, I will heed your advice and use an Ethernet connection to develop feedback more useful to them.

As for speed "tests" in general, those sites seem very intent on marketing some panoply of services and it occurs to me a poor "test" result might serve that purpose more than would the legitimate outcome. And even though I worked there 30 years, I unfortunately no longer feel confident I can exclude VZ from such a conflict of interest. My sense is that VZ used to be a network company that did some marketing ... and which now - by necessity perhaps - has morphed into a marketing company that does some networking. Well - LOL - I never did trust those marketing types ....

Thanks for your interest in my dilemma.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Glad you've made some progress.

For whatever it's worth, the reason I suggested that link to the Verizon speed test is to determine if any speed problem is within or outside their network.

I typically use www.speedtest.net, choosing several different servers, for routine speed tests. But if I ever encounter a problem with a test, I go to the Verizon link to narrow down where the problem lies.

Good luck.

0 Likes