FIOS Availability?
Not applicable

Good afternoon!

I am curious whom I would talk to in order to put in a request for FIOS or DSL to please be made available in my area.  I live less than 12 miles from Washington DC, less then a mile from major shopping centres and DSL boxes, neighbours half a mile away have DSL or some other form of broadband internet connection, and yet I am left with one option: dialup.  And not just dialup, but when we have dialup it's only 28K. 
Cable also doesn't exist in our area, despite being available less then a mile away.  (Yes, I plan to request their assistance with this as well!)  Air cards are only of limited use, since we have a full time college student taking primarily online classes in masters degree work and a work-at-home systems administrator, therefore the caps on the bandwidth is unacceptable.  Satellite is not secure enough for the systems administrator.

I have lived in this house for ten years, and every year I think: "Next year!"  and it never happens.  I would like some advice in how to be more proactive.

Thank you.

-Pepper

Re: FIOS Availability?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The next time you call Verizon, ask for them to put an engineering request in for your home to see if DSL can actually be obtained. In some cases the availability database could be incorrect but in most cases it typically is reliable. If you cannot get DSL in any way, shape or form, I would have to suggest getting the Cable company involved. You may have to pay them to run a cable a half of a mile, but despite the price tag often charged, it sure beats anything metered, slow, or capped.

A fallback case for this if you have line of sight to a home that can get Cable or DSL would be to use a point to point Wireless connectiono to that location and make agreements with the owner of that location to set up a second Internet connection and some wireless gear. There is still an expense to this, but like I said, it beats the alternatives.

0 Likes
Dave76tx
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have my entire street available (double checked on the website) and I even have a Verizon box in my front yard, but engineering "is working on getting the database updated.  You should hear something from then in a few days."   That was two weeks ago.   Calls into customer service says they will take your contact information to update you when it becomes available.

They have 4 more days and I am giving up and going with AT&T uverse.   I have one of their boxes in my yard too.  Guess their engineers are better with addresses.

So, frustrating that it will take a matter of minutes to update the database once the request gets to the right person, yet it takes weeks to get to that "right" person.   And, you can't call into that right person.

0 Likes
Dave76tx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just an update since posting the above comment. 

1.  My case has been escalated to a support issue.  Had to fill out some form online and submit more details.   I have a reference number, but not person to contact to follow up or timetable for following up.

2.  Called the normal Verizon number and asked to talk to a supervisor.  She "escalated" my issue to engineering as well and said she hoped to be able to call me back within 48 hours.  

It is really hard for me to understand why it has taken nearly a month of trying to get FIOS.   I do think it is the best service available, but in 3 days I need some sort of service.   Uverse isn't that bad.   Had it before.

So here I sit and wait in hopes an "escalation" will actually materialize.

0 Likes
Dave76tx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Still no contact from Verizon

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Please post to your private support case and that will trigger a message to the agent.

0 Likes
Dave76tx
Enthusiast - Level 2
Did that yesterday....no response
0 Likes
Dave76tx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Contacted Verizon customer support and got a lady who says she can see that it is available in my area, just not at my address.   She said she needed to talk to engineering and then call me back in a few minutes.  That was at 5pm yesterday.    Still waiting on that call back.   I even confirmed my call back number.

I have to go with Uverse tomorrow if Fios is not available today.

0 Likes
Dave76tx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Solved.   Finally, got to a customer service supervisor that had a contact in engineering.   Less than an hour later, I have a scheduled install day.   Thanks to Mrs. T (name hidden) in the Texas call center!

Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Since we haven't heard back from you or have received a form submission, it appears assistance is no longer required. If you need any future help with your Verizon service, please make a post here on the forums so we can assist.

0 Likes