FIOS Cable Modem Compatibility?
Slogger
Enthusiast - Level 1

Newbie here - I just signed up  to switch from COMCAST to FIOS -- I own my CISCO DPC 3008 cable modem (DOCSIS 3.0) - installer coming next week (and as part of sign up,  a FIOS modem is en route), but does anyone know if my CISCO DPC 3008 will work with FIOS for 50/50 conectivity?  I could not find an answer in the quick searches I did.  Related question,  where do I find if my TP-Link Archer C8 router is compatible(my guess is that it should be, but I haven't searched that yet).

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS Cable Modem Compatibility?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

For Internet only it is ok to use your own router.

But if you are going to get TV service as well using Verizon STB, it would be better to buy or rent their router unless rather tech savy to be able to set up your own router to work with Verizon stbs.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@Slogger wrote:

Newbie here - I just signed up  to switch from COMCAST to FIOS -- I own my CISCO DPC 3008 cable modem (DOCSIS 3.0) - installer coming next week (and as part of sign up,  a FIOS modem is en route), but does anyone know if my CISCO DPC 3008 will work with FIOS for 50/50 conectivity?  I could not find an answer in the quick searches I did.  Related question,  where do I find if my TP-Link Archer C8 router is compatible(my guess is that it should be, but I haven't searched that yet).

The modem, no.

however Fios uses routers. If you have a Ethernet connection the Archer should be able to connect to the Fios network.

however Verizon will tell you that you have to use their router (false) however if you ever need tech support they will not support your customer supplied router.

just like cable companies don't support customer owned modems.

the tech should be able to set your router up. However it's best if you first set your own router to factory specs via the reset button on the archer. After that it's a simple process to get a DNS from Verizon 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

For Internet only it is ok to use your own router.

But if you are going to get TV service as well using Verizon STB, it would be better to buy or rent their router unless rather tech savy to be able to set up your own router to work with Verizon stbs.

jlk871

so any wifi router will work? do you suggest anything? its so confusing

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes